black smoke boiler problem

Graham, OFTEC engineer in Suffolk here....if it's balanced flue then check the flue terminal. Boulters made a bottom exit flue which sucked back in the gases and upset the combustion process. If your engineer is checking the smoke number with a pump and the CO2 (not CO that's a different issue) with an analysler then he should be able to determine what is going on. Look for 0 smoke, 11.5% CO2 and between 40 - 90 ppm CO pump pressure about 110 and air setting to suit. If it's conventional flue (i.e. chimney) then check it's not blocked! and that the thing still gives the same readings when all the covers are on. Also make sure it can breath properly. i.e NO tumble dryers or extractor fans upsetting/depriving it of it's air supply. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Please help.
After 4 visits from boiler engineer we are still stuck. We have an 8 year old Boulter boiler with a horizontal air intake from outside and a vertical flue. The boiler is serviced every year and this year one month after an oil tank fill and the service we had belching black smoke out of the top of the flue.

While thats all good general advice, this fellow has clearly described the installation and the problem.

If you carefully read through the discussions you will see that its fine until Fridays when it belches out the black smoke!

Then you can use your diagnostic skills to advise what the problem may be! I will be interested to know what it turns out to be!

Tony

O/P: Is your vent at low level connected to the boiler burner by a flexible tube ?.

O/P: Is your vent at low level connected to the boiler burner by a flexible tube ?.

Don't reckon it is :rolleyes: Why :?: :?:

Tony may I remind you that the boiler is fine for 4 Fridays out of 5

What a few of you experts seem to be hedging around is the fact the dam thing worked fine for 8 years.

Sponsored Links
Please help.

Engineer returns, surprised. Cleans everything out, replaces the nozzle and leaves. 5 days later--- black smoke. This time he returns and changes the solanoid and the little grey box (control box ?), cleans boiler out , replaces nozzle and leaves. 5 days later----- black smoke.
This time he returns and replaces the pump, cleans boiler out and replaces the nozzle and leaves. 5 days later--- black smoke.
bills running up and getting nowhere

ta

Graham
Tony may I remind you that the boiler is fine for 4 Fridays out of 5

Thats not the way I interpret it John!

Fails on Friday and the engineer comes on Monday and it works Ok until the Friday!!!

Maybe I should go up there for a long weekend???

Tony

Ooooops I was thinking 5 weeks, been such a long time since the thread started.

Perhaps you should pick me up on the way :LOL: :LOL:

So what are you saying, power shortage or fault

I was hoping Oil Fired Up would have some new ideas !

I still think that its a two state fault linked to something different that happens on Fridays!

But as yet I dont know what!

A few minutes on the phone to the owner might give me more clues though!

Tony

I still think that its a two state fault linked to something different that happens on Fridays!

But as yet I dont know what!

A few minutes on the phone to the owner might give me more clues though!

Tony

Well I still say its a progressive fault, linked to the combustion.

Agile said:
Because we're short of ideas?

We have lots of ideas but none of us have been there!

If its progressive then its a five day progression but I would have thought that some dark smoke would have been noticeable on the Thursday.

Tony

Agile said:
We have lots of ideas but none of us have been there!
...none of us has been there.

This is beginning to feel like one of those topics where the OP will come back in 15 months time and report that he bought a new boiler.

Either that or oilman has gone up there to sort it aaaahht.

Oilman who usually has the answers is now strangely quiet.

Perhaps thats not surprising as none of us has any idea whats really wrong in this particular case.

Tony

Indeed it isn't - oilman doesn't do b*llshit.

Indeed it isn't - oilman doesn't do b*llshit.

He does not need to!

You seem to be creating a considerable amount without assistance!!

Without a site visit this thread is all speculation!!

Terrywookfit said:
You seem to be creating a considerable amount without assistance!!
Please show me where I've proposed more than one theory for the behaviour.

Without a site visit this thread is all speculation!!
That is untrue. Some of it is deduction, and some of it is requesting more information from the OP - the normal process of fault-finding.

Perhaps you can't deduce anything without a site visit, in which case I don't know why you're even reading this topic, let alone posting on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back