Black Telephone Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anbody know where I can get hold of 3 pair telephone cable with black sheathing. I am looking to run this on the outside of the house and need black (CW1128 :?: ) so that it both complies with regs and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb :)

Sponsored Links
Deryck -

Depends where u r in the uk, but I use Nimans in Manchester 200m of black 3 pair for 15.35 + dreaded.

Never heard of any regs that say you must use black outdoors - I know white looks completely naff, but other than colour there is no difference. In any case, BT use bog standard black 3 pair for extensions where cable is run outside.

I myself have installed hundreds of extensions sockets using bog-standard black. Can you let me know what this reg is? Don't want to think I've been doing it wrong all these years.....

perhaps the "reg" is the one that says thet for phones you should use solid core as opposed to multi stranded

Sponsored Links
Breezer - it's the only one I can think of, but that rule goes across the board (multistranded for appliances and solid for fixed wiring).

just out of interest black cable is more uv stable and thats why BT normally use it out of doors

officially , we are not suposed to run black 6wire(3pair) outside , this is designed for internal use only and with the heat(what heat in the UK!!!) and rain the cable breaks down and causes faults... we use d/w10 (2pair cable) or downlead (2 pair cable) which is designed for outdoor use. the d/w 10 is the black cable that feeds the houses from the pole`s outside. Just have a look around for a BT eng... one of them would give you some.

sparkytele

Dropwire is stiffer and harder to manipulate. Take your point about UV breakdown though. But I normally encounter this with wiring that goes back 40 years or so (with the "old" colour code) Still, even PVC cable will deteriorate eventually I suppose and sunlight will only hasten that. Is there a cable you can use that does not have the tensioning wires in but will withstand UV?

Securespark... we call it downlead... its the same as dropwire but without strengtherners , it has 2 pair o/w + g/b and can have brown, white or grey sheathing. This is the only cable without strengtherners that will protect from UV. I would imagine a supllier like Nimans would be able to sort this out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back