Blades for Angle Grinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redesigning my patio with new walls, flower beds etc and relaying the old concrete slabs. I've bought a 9" angle grinder and have used a stone cutting disc for cutting bricks. Now I need to cut 19 metres of old-fashioned concrete slabs into single brick-width copings plus lots of cuts in other slabs. The stone cutting disc is useless.

I've been quoted approx £120 for a diamond blade that will apparently cut through the slabs "like butter". None of the hire shops will hire me a blade or grinder equipped with blade, but will sell me a blade and are quoting approx £36 for a diamond blade which will "be better than a stone disc".

Screwfix quote diamond blades for hard materials including reinforced concrete, cured concrete etc at between £60 and £120. Which to buy and how many do you think I'll need for the 19m of copings +++?

Sponsored Links
i'm afraid buying diamond blades is a bit of a lottery.

some blades last for ages but tend to 'gum up', overheat and flex.

others cut really well but wear out quick.

but i'm fairly sure the more you pay the better they get.

i tend to pay around £25-40 for my blades.

if you lay the slabs on a wet lawn and allow the blade to cut into the lawn a little, it does help to cool the blade and cut a fair bit quicker.

if you do find the blade gumming up, you will need to cut something soft like a celcon block every now and again. it helps to bring the diamonds through the bonding gum.

i know the blades your talking about, marcist i think. you can buy the ones that travis perkins hire out from them. they are made by the same people. i use mine all the time and i get quite a lot of life out of them. i never tend to pay more than 40 for them either.

I bought a Marcrist £50 ish was the best I ever had It whistled as it sliced through facing brick/block old paving slabs

However
Aldi often sell diamond discs at £2.99 which I can heartily recommend

Though engineering brick can be a bugger with any discs

Cut on wood, as you cut through the wood seems to deglaze the cutting edge.

Sponsored Links
Toolpak have just brought out a new diamond blade which seems to be the dogs do-dahs - and sells for less than £30

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back