Blanking off a light switch from a 2 way circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I've been reading going over the circuit diagrams of 2 way circuits, and have been searching for most of the evening to find someone with the same wiring setup as I have and I've yet to find one that really answers my question.

So, in our living room, we have 2 switches that control the main light. Both control them all the time, and either can be on/off and the light will do as you switch. One of the switches is a double gang with the kitchen light, this is the switch we want to keep and to replace with a smart switch.

I'm wanting to fit a blank over the single. I will be using blocks to terminate the wires before fitting the blank.

Should I just fit the wires into the blocks as they are in the switch?

From the switch we are keeping, which wire will be blocked off? And which will be the live and neutral?

20190410_001158.jpg
20190410_001458.jpg

Sponsored Links
You have not got a neutral, bottom switch into a block connector three terminals, the top picture right hand switch red no longer required stick it in block connector and yellow and blue are the two switch wires, they will go com and L1 in new switch.

This is what you have:
upload_2019-4-10_2-15-3.png

and this is what you need:
upload_2019-4-10_2-16-18.png

You can't have read much nor looked at many diagrams on the subject if you think neutrals are connected to the switch.

Neutral is the wire from the light back to the supply.

Thank you for the help.

I know it's not neutral, but it was the best way I could explain it.

EFL, looking at your diagram it makes complete sense, and rather easy. Abit disappointed I didnt figure that out on my own. At least i know its correct!

Sponsored Links
Pop a shelly1 above the ceiling rose. You will still have the use of your switch then...

Your link doesn’t work. I’d like to view it, sometime.

1 exception(s):
Exception #0 (Exception): Unable to proceed: the maintenance mode is enabled…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back