Removing 2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm aware this has been asked several times, but want to be certain I've got the right approach.

I have 2 x double light switches in my living room, wired to work 2 way, in plastic back boxes.

Both double switches have the same wiring configuration:
IMG_20180203_123346.jpg

I wish to remove one of the two double light switches. Is this correct:
1. Switch off lighting circuit fuse at the fuse box
2. Left hand switch: COM + L1 into terminal block
3. Left hand switch: L2 into separate terminal block
4. Right hand switch: COM + L1 into terminal block
5. Right hand switch: L2 into separate terminal block
6. Earths into separate terminal block
7. Blanking plate over where the existing double light switch was

Steps 2 - 5 are better illustrated on another post on these forums:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/attachments/upload_2016-9-4_21-26-46-png.104606/

Finally, on the remaining double light switch, can L2 (black with brown sheath) then be terminated into a terminal block? I'm asking because I may replace this remaining double light switch with a LightwaveRF Gen 2 Dimmer, which only has connections for live and switched live:
https://support.lightwaverf.com/hc/..._Smart_Dimmer__2_Gang__Installation_Guide.pdf

If I'm totally wrong on the above, I'll get an electrician to do it.

Thanks for any replies / answers!

Sponsored Links
Both double switches have the same wiring configuration

That means other connections have been made probably in your ceiling roses (good news) or a hidden junction box (bad news). Have a look inside your ceiling roses or back of fittings which ever is applicable.

That means other connections have been made probably in your ceiling roses (good news) or a hidden junction box (bad news). Have a look inside your ceiling roses or back of fittings which ever is applicable.

Since there are aren't any grey cores going to the faceplate, it looks to me like the the switches are fed, with the 3 core between the switches each carrying two strappers and a neutral - grey being the neutral.

So I wouldn't expect any hidden junction boxes or ceiling roses stuffed with connections - looks like the joints are at the switches.

Since there are aren't any grey cores going to the faceplate, it looks to me like the the switches are fed, with the 3 core between the switches each carrying two strappers and a neutral - grey being the neutral.

So I wouldn't expect any hidden junction boxes or ceiling roses stuffed with connections - looks like the joints are at the switches.

Saved for posterity

Sponsored Links
The ceiling roses were replaced with downlighters last year by an electrician (1 ceiling rose for each switch). I suspect there are hidden junction boxes.

I've got some other work elsewhere in the house that I need an electrician to do, so I'll use the same guy to do this stuff too.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back