blasted trianco eurostar oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so, custards boiler doesn't wanna start 1st thing in morning or 1st thing in evening (programmer set to twice)

it'll go to lockout in the a.m start and also the p.m start, press the lockout reset and she works fine, cycles on off with the stat no worries.

its running a sterling burner, not a minor.

i went out there, service guy had fitted a .65x60w nozzle, required nozzle is .85x80eh. i fitted correct nozzle and adjusted pump pressure to 115psi. the oil supply is fine and the tank (plastic) is only 6 foot away.

checked internally and all was clean, gave it a vacum out anyway.

photocell wasn't dirty or greasy but wiped it with paper towel anyway.

fired it up, adjust combustion to 11% as i didn't know exact figure.

all seemed well.

boiler worked a treat all day, went off for a few hours, came back on no issues.

this morning though, didn't come on. but has worked fine since custard pressed reset button, came on in evening also, after being off for 4 hours.

i checked oil for water by pouring a litre into a clear tube, leaving it on a level surface for 20 minutes, it looked fine.

what is it with these things!!

Sponsored Links
could be solenoid coil starting to fail or a leak in the oil supply causing air to be drawn in.

Have you tested the photcell? What readings are you getting when compared to a new one.

I would change the photcell (they are only about £5 plus vat) coils are only £11 plus vat

I change more photocells that solenoid coils on the sterlings.

I would also look at the nozzle you have put in. Must be a bloody big house. If it had .65 before i would change it to a .65/80 eh and set it up to 11.5% co2. Otherwise you may end up with a lot of cycling

could be solenoid coil starting to fail or a leak in the oil supply causing air to be drawn in.

Have you tested the photcell? What readings are you getting when compared to a new one.

I would change the photcell (they are only about £5 plus vat) coils are only £11 plus vat

I would also look at the nozzle you have put in. Must be a bloody big house. If it had .65 before i would change it to a .65/80 eh and set it up to 11.5% co2. Otherwise you may end up with a lot of cycling

thanks for the advice, i don't think the jet was the correct one at all and it wasn't set up correctly.

where do you get your danfoss coils for £11?

cheers, tim.

thanks for the advice, i don't think the jet was the correct one at all and it wasn't set up correctly.

where do you get your danfoss coils for £11?

cheers, tim.

Sponsored Links
get most of my oil bits from HWOS.co.uk.

If i get burners older than about 15 years i will often just replace with a complete new rdb1 they are only £190 plus vat.

get most of my oil bits from HWOS.co.uk.

If i get burners older than about 15 years i will often just replace with a complete new rdb1 they are only £190 plus vat.

not a bad thought that, not for this 1 as i think its possibly something simple once it shows it face.

but when you get ur new burner, do you use the blast tube that comes with it? or use the 1 on the existing burner?

Most of all burners come complete. that includes the blast tube and flange to connect it to the boiler.

sometimes it is necessary to fit a longer blast tube on the older boilers but there is a chart available to select which size.

Most of my customers who have had a new burner normally comment on how much quieter the new burners are.

It is often at this time it enables me to fit the correct sized burner for the house as well. Normally since the original boiler was fitted double glazing etc has been fitted and the original output is just too large. Surprising how much more economical the new burner then becomes!!

It is often at this time it enables me to fit the correct sized burner for the house as well. Normally since the original boiler was fitted double glazing etc has been fitted and the original output is just too large. Surprising how much more economical the new burner then becomes!!

How much scope is there usually for lowering the power by reducing the burner pressure?

Tony

sometimes it is necessary to fit a longer blast tube on the older boilers but there is a chart available to select which size.

Most of my customers who have had a new burner normally comment on how much quieter the new burners are.

Does HWOS have charts for selecting the correct size of blast tubes,or where do you get them?

I would try a new capacitor on the motor. I've changed four this year. The external boilers, or those in cellars, can sometimes have just enough condensation at this time of year to offer enough resistance to the motor. Have you checked the oil pump for tight spots?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back