Bleed valve unreachable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

First off, I’m not a plumber, just a simple tenant. There’s a radiator/towel rail that has cleverly been fitted on my bathroom wall where the bleed valve is right up against a side wall and so can’t be reached. The radiator does get warm all over but not as hot as normal radiators so I wondered if it needed bleeding... but the valve can’t be reached.

So 1. Is there any other way it can be bled? And
2. Is that unlikely to solve the problem?

Even if 2 is a yes, could someone please still answer 1, in case I ever did need to bleed it.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Loosen the blanking plug at the other end, if it has one. If there is, the vent should be moved to that end for easier access in future.
If it contains air, it would be hot at the bottom but not at the top.

As you are a tenant, your landlord should be arranging such things. Don't attempt repairs yourself.

The landlord is good/fair and does get repairs done, but radiator bleeding doesn’t normally need a plumber, just a key ;)

But as it’s not cold at the top anyway, I guess that isn’t the issue then....

Not sure what a blanking valve is tho... there’s nothing at the other end at the top (opposite the bleed valve) just the tap/valves at the bottom which don’t seem to make any difference as they’re full on.

Is it a towel rail or a radiator, they are quite different. Pic please?

That being said if it's just going warm and not as hot as the rest then it may need someone in to look at it.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

First off, I’m not a plumber, just a simple tenant. There’s a radiator/towel rail that has cleverly been fitted on my bathroom wall where the bleed valve is right up against a side wall and so can’t be reached. The radiator does get warm all over but not as hot as normal radiators so I wondered if it needed bleeding... but the valve can’t be reached.

So 1. Is there any other way it can be bled? And
2. Is that unlikely to solve the problem?

Even if 2 is a yes, could someone please still answer 1, in case I ever did need to bleed it.

Cheers.

As a tenant DO not bleed the radiator.
If the system is open vented the feed and expansion vessel is likley to contain significantr debris...it is all too easy too draw in sludge or far worse.
I attended a job where fibreglass loft insulation had been drawn into the pipework..someone had draped it over the F&E cistern (the lid was absent).
It had sagged down with the mositure. That system required extensive work to repair. I've had other systems with bird bones/slate/lead shot etc.

If the system is sealed then that bit of air might just be saving the system from over-presurising due to an expansion vessel be low on charge.
Bleeding it could result in an expensive repair.

There are other old semi-sealed systems (Primatic/Harton etc), again these can be problematic when bleeding.

Leave alone.

This misguided information about bleeding radiators from those that no nothing about heating systems causes no end of problems.

Wow, ok, though I’ve done it for years in various properties in the past...with (thankfully/luckily?) no problems, and even here on the regular room ones! But thanks for the advice and warning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back