Bleeding oil line after running out...

So long as your tank is higher than the boiler - i.e the oil feeds by gravity - then no, you should bleed with the boiler off.
It does sound like we are getting somewhere here, and if you can crack open one of the connections after the black tap to the burner, the air should purge out of the pipe line.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John for getting back to us.

That white pipe doesn't go into the bottom but goes underneath and changes from white to a red colour and then loops around and goes in to the left hand side of the burner. If you looks closely it looks like the pipe attaches on to the metal bit and then the metal bit goes into the burner.

Does it need to be on when your bleeding it? Thank you.

Where that 90 degree elbow is that is attached to the red flexi pipe looks like a good joint to crack, just slacked off one side very slightly with a pair of spanners until oil comes out, then tighten up. Clear up any spillage, then attempt to fire again. This'll only work if the oil level in the tank is higher than the joint you're going to crack, though!

Nozzle

:( we've opened it but nothing, can smell oil but nothing has come through!

Anything else we can do?

Thanks to you both for all your help so far, very grateful.

Sponsored Links
Is your tank higher than the boiler?
Next thing, are all the supply valves open? Do check each one!
On occasion, if the supply is gravity fed but the pipe has a rise in it, an air lock can result if the tank is only at minimal height. In this case we use a syringe to pull the oil through.
Is there any chance of a close up of the pipe you have undone, please?

GALLERY]

I undid the nut on the metal bit...top Left of the picture

The tank is higher.

I think all the valves are open as we had heating prior to the oil running out, how would I know if they're open or not?

Thanks.

Well, the nut you have opened is the one, all right!
Did you take it off completely? (Always a good idea to have one hand on the black tap if you do!)
Lets go back to the oil tank. There will be a valve on its outlet - either a 90 degree turn or a wheel valve. Its a good move to check the filter thats there, just in case some sludge has got in. Can you manage that?

Yes, took it off completely. Glad to hear I undid the right one.

I will have a go...if I take a picture and upload it again will you be able to point it out for me?

Thank you.

Aha the jolly old Atkinson gauge and filter!
The big hand wheel turns anti clock for on - beneath it is a bowl with a nylon filter inside.
Make sure the valve actually turns off before undoing the nut at the bottom of the filter bowl!

hi
the nut just before the black iso tap is the one you crack open
do not have the burner running or turned on as this will cause the burner to suck in air

Thank you all again.

Right we can't seem to turn it off...as in we have turned the wheel clockwise for off but it just keeps on turning as if the thread has gone on it. When my husband tried the nut the oil started to come out so it was tightened back up quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back