Blending multi-finish (plastering in sections)...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Lurked on this forum for a while (so thank you for all the advice I've gotten in secret) but only just registered. I'm not a plasterer, but have done a bit (couple of walls and tiny ceilings) with pretty decent results (and I enjoy it).

I have a ceiling to do with multi-finish and, although its quite small by most people's standards, I think it's stretching myself slightly too far to try and do it in one hit. Was thinking of doing it in two - both on the same day mind.

Never tried to do it in sections before - but I have heard of plasterers doing it by wetting the edge with a brush at each flattening/trowelling stage.

I.e. In the same way as shown on this video -

The one thing they never seem to mention is what happens when you bring the second section up to the first (which is now fully-trowelled, and potentially quite far set).

Do you overlap and wet-brush the edge again in the same way, to blend the two together? Or do you just go over the existing edge with gear a little thinner?

I realise there is the possibility for the join to show... but I want to minimise that. Clearly though, if I really needed a perfect finish then I wouldn't be doing it myself. :)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Scrim tape across the half way line, plaster one side normal 2 coat skim, take scrim off
Skim other side, getting as little as poss on the side already done, after second coat flattened get the edge nice and neat, then keep it wet with the brush and trowel it along the join ending up toweling it hard along the join at the end. Done a lot of these over the years and got it down to virtually invisible but it will ALWAYS be visible once painted if the light catches it.
It's a ball ache and if at all possible skim it in one go, pva the hell out of the ceiling, get a mate to mix and feed ......
Hope that helps

Cheers mate.

Sounds like the best plan will be to get my skates on and see what I can do, then use plan B if I need to. At least the weather is going to be awful, which might help me out a bit. :)

Keep a cool head, make sure all windows and doors closed, long reaches to lay it on, don't panic. Pva it even if it's board to kill the suction. Obviously 2 coats fresh mixes. Sponge float on hand if you really lose it

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. I'll do just that. I'd never heard the advice about keeping doors and windows shut before - makes sense though.

Time to up my game. :)

Cool, cheers. I'm feeling a bit more confident now as the hour draws closer - its only a couple of m2 more than I've done previously after all. :)

Well... got it done in one hit. That one was pretty hard on the shoulders. :)

It certainly isn't my finest work, and needs a little bit of filling in places, but really not too bad and I feel good for pushing myself.

Oh, not that big really. 10-12m2, something like that.

Large enough to be a problem for a newb like me, but probably something that anyone with more experience would have whipped through no problem at all.

Yeah that's not that small if you don't do it every day and working on your own! (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back