Blimey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On radio 4 they just had a prog where they went back and interviewed the same people they interviewed 2 years ago who voted Brexit 8 of em

All of em said that they wished they had voted remain :eek:

Yes I know I am :eek: as well

Blimey what should one make of it :confused:

Are they all dead beats and no hopers :?:

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
On radio 4 they just had a prog where they went back and interviewed the same people they interviewed 2 years ago who voted Brexit 8 of em

All of em said that they wished they had voted remain :eek:

Yes I know I am :eek: as well

Blimey what should one make of it :confused:

Are they all dead beats and no hopers :?:

:LOL:
8,,not exactly a huge sample,,then again they could have talked to thousands and only found 8 who changed their minds..Not exactly scientific.

I'd take it with a pinch of salt. DP hit the nail on the head. Could have been 8 of a much broader selection of people who were 'hand picked'. Let's not forget the BBC love to squeeze in "despite brexit" to any article showing anything to the contrary of doom and gloom predictions.

People have flip-flopped on the issue for years before hand, it could be just as likely you could find 8 people out of 46 million people who have all decided they would have voted leave.

If you were really interested in finding out, you could look at some of the large-scale surveys published on places like YouGov, and their long-term trend line.

Many surveys are paid for by the newspapers, political groups, and the investment trade (such as Jacob Rice Pud) and they do not publish results that do not support their angle.

If you are a person who believes that the nation is in favour of a no-deal brexit, you are so far removed from reality that you may as well leave your head in the sand.

Have a look at the trend lines on here:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/

The position is similar to the one the polls showed in June 2016: Nobody knows.

But there is no majority for "no deal" and no majority for "Theresa's deal," no majority for "stay in." But probably a majority for "another referendum."

Among people under retirement age, there is a strong and hardening pro-EU movement. They are also the ones who will suffer most from loss of employment, education and travel opportunities, and are already bridling as they see themselves working until the morning of their funeral on low wages, in order to pay for the pensions, investments, BTL portfolios and tax cuts of older generations. In five years they will probably overwhelm the remaining numbers of old anti-Europeans and Tories, even in England.

Our current government's strategy appears to be, "let time run out so the nation sleepwalks into Brexit without taking any further action."

Parliament has the supremacy of power in the UK, but Parliament doesn't know what it wants, or how to get it.

We are ruled by incompetent numbskulls.

Sponsored Links
If you were really interested in finding out, you could look at some of the large-scale surveys published on places like YouGov, and their long-term trend line.
But he isn't, and he won't.

Facts and truth must not be allowed to intrude into the delusion he has crafted.

The concept of Brexit was and still is valid. It's the way it's been "negotiated" that is wrong.

When you have a remainer PM and key cabinate members who are remainers, you may well think the shambles is orchestrated.

Anyone who voted to leave should not be so fickle, and should be looking to their MP to deliver it, not changing their minds based on poor execution.

And above all, they should be mindful that the actual deal is yet to be negotiated. What is up in the air at the moment is merely the arrangement for the day we leave.

We are ruled by incompetent numbskulls

I'd agree with that. But worse, there are few competent numskulls on either side of the house who could deliver anything much better.

It's all an embarrassment no matter where your politics lie.

The thing is, this was a democratic vote no matter what one's individual opinion was. The elected MPs should have united to deliver the electorate's decision. The whole charade had just played into the EU's hands (who were our opponent in the negotiations) and has got us a poor intial deal, and made the UK look weak and feeble to those countries who we will have to deal with for future trade agreements.

The tories poor performance is to blame, but equally, Labour's and others constant undermining of the Government's position (and thus the UK's position) is reprehensible.

I'd agree with that. But worse, there are few competent numskulls on either side of the house who could deliver anything much better.

It's all an embarrassment no matter where your politics lie.
And no matter where your politics lie, or how you voted in the referendum, that speech by Sir Ivan Rogers is well worth checking out.

Yes, it'll take more than just a few minutes, but to all those who think it makes them look smart and sophisticated to say that they won't read things which take more than a few minutes, it does neither.

I'd advise listening to the recording, and following the "transcript" as closely as possible. Problem is it's not a transcript -I think it's more likely to be the speech as he wrote it, but when he delivered it he made changes on the fly.

He doesn't take much of a position on Brexit - he accepts the referendum, and is not a fan of having another one.

But he does mercilessly lay bare the mind boggling incompetence of the way it's been handled and is frank about the enormous difficulty anybody would have in negotiating an orderly withdrawal.

The elected MPs should have united to deliver the electorate's decision.
No they should not, because that is not how our parliamentary system is supposed to work.

The whole charade had just played into the EU's hands (who were our opponent in the negotiations)
So you think it's a zero-sum game?

and has got us a poor intial deal, and made the UK look weak and feeble to those countries who we will have to deal with for future trade agreements.
That's because on 23rd June 2016 17,410,742 people voted to make the country look week and feeble.

The tories poor performance is to blame, but equally, Labour's and others constant undermining of the Government's position (and thus the UK's position) is reprehensible.
I think you'll find that it is the job of Her Majesty's Official Opposition to oppose, criticise, and basically do what they can to bring about a General Election.

And in any event, there have been a number of PMQs where the Right Honourable Member for Islington North has pressed the Right Honourable Member for Maidenhead on matters other than Brexit.

The elected MPs should have united to deliver the electorate's decision.

The referendum said nothing about no-deal, hard-deal, soft-deal, Norway, Brino, or wait ten years until the UK can decide what it wants.

That was left up to whoever was in government at the time.

So the elected MPs have been given no decision on what to deliver.

The 52% can't even agree among themselves. If they had been given a choice in a referendum they couldn't have agreed.

So the MPs, and the government, can't follow the electorates wishes because the electorate didn't tell them, and didn't know, and still doesn't.

Don't worry. It's all going to plan.
Yep...

Give it enough time and many quitters will be brown bread...

And the childish foot stamping quitters who are left may finally realise that they made a terrible mistake!

got us a poor intial deal, and made the UK look weak and feeble to those countries who we will have to deal with for future trade agreements.
That's what voting to leave the EU meant, surely? Any cost! I hear you Quitters grumble. We don't care is another.

To summarise.
The UK is a representative democracy.
The vote was non binding.
Leaving the EU was never defined.

It was a monumental cluster f by Cameron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back