Blinking neon ceiling light

A picure of YOUR ACTUAL fitting will be of much assistance in helping you.

If it is a bit like the one shown, then that gold bit in the centre is the securing screw, undo that and the glass shade will come off, revealing the guts of the thing.
You have already been told that, please read the help you are offered
To remove the glass cover, the metal bit in the centre usually unscrews.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it does look like the circular fluresent picture that's been posted. So do I need need both a new tube and starter?

No, as I said earlier only the tube needs replacing. If you don't want to believe me try replacing only the tube first, then report back.

No, as I said earlier only the tube needs replacing. If you don't want to believe me try replacing only the tube first, then report back.
One reason that tubes fail is because the heaters are energised long enough to become hot enough to lose their electron emitting coating. The heaters will over heat if the starter fails to open and thus keeps the heaters energised.

Follow Winston's advice and you may damage the new tube.

One reason that tubes fail is because the heaters are energised long enough to become hot enough to lose their electron emitting coating. The heaters will over heat if the starter fails to open and thus keeps the heaters energised.

Follow Winston's advice and you may damage the new tube.

If the starter had failed to open the tube would not be blinking but would just have both ends dimly lit.

Clearly the starter is OK, no need to replace it.

Incidently, with tubes on special dimmer circuits the heaters are permantly energised. It doesn't seem to cause tube failure or over heating of the heaters.

Sponsored Links
If the starter had failed to open the tube would not be blinking but would just have both ends dimly lit.
It is opening and closing again.
with tubes on special dimmer circuits the heaters are permantly energised. It doesn't seem to cause tube failure or over heating of the heaters.
That is because the heaters are connected to fixed voltage supplies and not to the mains via the ballast and starter in series.

It is opening and closing again.

But that is not how starters fail when they do. They either weld up or don't strike at all. Opening and closing is the result of a low voltage starter being wrongly fitted in a standard fitting.

You're wrong as always Winston.

If the starter is on ots way out it will take ages to open. You'll have seen this manifest it's self as a tube glowing at the ends on start up for ages before it finally strikes, which is not good for the tube.

Also read the technical literature from tube manufacturers and you'll see they recommend the starter is replaced at the same time as the tube.

You're wrong as always Winston.

If the starter is on ots way out it will take ages to open. You'll have seen this manifest it's self as a tube glowing at the ends on start up for ages before it finally strikes, which is not good for the tube.

Also read the technical literature from tube manufacturers and you'll see they recommend the starter is replaced at the same time as the tube.

That is a welded starter which is clearly not the case here.

Got a link to these tube manufacturers? Could it be they are just trying to increase sales?

How is it welded when it opens after 20 seconds or so every single time?

No they are not trying to increase sales, they are educating you how to prolong the life of your tube.

You really do have a nack of making your self look silly on this forum. Have you ever heard the saying "a little knowledge is dangerous"?

Strange thing, I've worked for several companies where it was policy to relamp on a regular basis. Tubes were all changed but never the starters.

No they are not trying to increase sales, they are educating you how to prolong the life of your tube.
Quite so. If they wanted to increase sales (of tubes, much more expensive than starters), they would presumably advise people not to replace starters routinely.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back