Blithering Idiots

C

cantaloup63

I have just installed and Magnaclean onto the CH system in a friends house in the cellar adjacent to the boiler (on the return). All went fine until we powered up the boiler at which point there was a smell of gas. My friend told me that he'd had the BG engineer out for the annual service just three weeks ago and thought that he'd smelt gas down there on occasion, but wasn't sure.

Had to call Transco and subsequently BG out - the dizzy twerp of an engineer had been so busy chatting away incessantly trying to sell my friend a new boiler and asking him for £250 for a magnaclean installation :rolleyes: that she forgot to tighten up that grub screw she'd use during her testing of the boiler.

So her inane ramblings and lack of concentration caused her to leave my friend and his property and family at risk - if there hadn't been enough ventilation down there or it had been winter with the boiler being fired up, then catastrophe could have followed.

According to Transco man, this sort of occurrence of leaving the screw open accidently is all to common.

Sponsored Links
no excuse its not hard to screw the test point and good practice would be to LDF it afterwards also. im afraid big companies like BG. have good and bad engineers. and it usually ends with the good ones being tarred with the same brush. there sales tactic is way underhand. well least there goes the theory that all woman can multitask.

In fairness, it's the first time it happened to anyone I know but then again I don't spend my life visiting AR situations like Transco man does.

Just seems an obvious thing to do - actually check that the appliance has been left safe, especially since these annual checks/services do seem to involve only a small number of actual processes. As for good practise, apparently the BG engineer was harping in about the flue not being installed according to good practice (although curiously non of her previous colleagues seem too worried about it over the last 5 years, and indeed nor were the installers). Might have been an idea if she had practised what she preached. :!:

Sponsored Links
Mistakes & mis haps happen all the time , saw an article in the independent recently that stated that in certain hospltals 50% of operations require further surgery due to the poor quality of the original surgery / surgeon

Any other profession u would find your self in court for negligence !! so you had a lady engineer than ? was she fit ? ;)

3 weeks of smelling gas and no action cause they were not sure?
Don't get the point of your post unless you have joined the ranks of BG bashers.

oh well never mind. how can we help?
By cofirming that this is as dangerous and stupid as I think it is and certainly nothing that oyu would ever have done :rolleyes:

Why didn't you service the boiler if its a mate?
I'm not a pro and certainly not RGI or whatever it is you need nowadays. :)
Well wind your neck in then, easy mistake to make. Its easy to sit back and watch others make mistakes and then critise. Why do you need us to confirm if its dangerous to leave a gas leak? what do you do for a living?

He thought that he might have imagined it, or that it might be something else.

I think that the point of my post was looking for confirmation that this sort of thing is potentially highly dangerous and that gas boys like you really do need to be competent and careful at what you do. I'm sort of supporting your profession and am concerned that this Transco bloke said that this sort of basic error seems to be not infrequent.

So it's not a question, nor a criticism. Just a concern and an observation. If you don't want to reply, there's nothing forcing you to do so :unsure:

Well wind your neck in then, easy mistake to make. Its easy to sit back and watch others make mistakes and then critise. Why do you need us to confirm if its dangerous to leave a gas leak? what do you do for a living?
I'm very pleased that you are so blase about such a obviously tinyl matter and trivial error. Enjoy carrying whatever cross you are having to bear :rolleyes:

End of conversation

I'm very pleased that you are so blase about such a obviously tinyl matter and trivial error. Enjoy carrying whatever cross you are having to bear :rolleyes:

End of conversation
Thats not what I said. What I said was people make mistakes, you too, so get a grip fella.

End of conversation

Yes people make mistakes, but some people's mistakes are bit more serious than others. That's why punters like me rely on competent and skilled professionals like you to take a great deal of care when we hire you to check that an appliance that could be functioning dangerously isn't doing so and that when you leave the house it is safe. But, like you say, I shouldn't get worked up - my mate and his family weren't blown up and burnt to death.

Now can we leave it :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back