Block and beam alternatives

• Thread starter Deleted member 281264
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 281264

Because of an oak tree being removed 7m from extension engineer is recommending a b&b floor.

I hear they can be very bouncy and would like something sturdy. Anyone used anything alternative?

Sponsored Links
What are the spans? Using a deeper concrete beam or changing the beam centre's can eliminate any bounce but £££s.

Sponsored Links
thanks thats what I was thinking

still deciding whether or not to go with piles, what are usual methods for building the floor above pile and ring beam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Split the 8.3 into 3 spans i.e. a pair of sleeper (honeycomb) walls?
But these wall's foundations will need to be as deep as the main walls or the SE will be even more worried.

I don't know why he thinks it will affect the floor.

But these wall's foundations will need to be as deep as the main walls
I have weighed up the hassle of waiting time, phone time etc of hiring machinery or cranes etc v's a couple of extra trenches and a solid feeling floor many times. I'm of the conclusion that it can be easier to dig an extra couple of trenches especially in a busy street or a tight cul de sac.

I have weighed up the hassle of waiting time, phone time etc of hiring machinery or cranes etc v's a couple of extra trenches and a solid feeling floor many times. I'm of the conclusion that it can be easier to dig an extra couple of trenches especially in a busy street or a tight cul de sac.
That's right normally.

But in this case it seem like the SE is concerned about the ground heave so the foundations will be super deep or piled, so any walls in your cunning plan will need to be the same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back