Block of Flats Flat roof overlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I live in a block of flats, 30 flats in a two storey building. My freeholder wants to overlay the roof and wants to charge us 124k for the roof and 56K for the scaffolding.
The flat roof is covering 10 flats, that makes it 18K per flat. Is this a reasonable price? Seems very high, I saw quotes for about 3-5K per flat roof, that would make it only 50K instead of 180K.

Also the scaffolding, they want it to be around the whole block, is this a requirement? does it have to be around the whole perimeter?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Freeholders = license to rip people off

it’s time the government put a stop to this nonsense, these management companies are just there to cream off profits

Yes the scaffold will need to be all the way around - there has to be full protection from falling.

do you have an idea how many square metres the roof is, then you might get an opportunity to compare rates

The freeholder has to provide several estimates. Have you got something like a tenants association/group? Speak to some of the others living in the building and try to have a meeting with the freeholder/maintenance company.

Freeholders = license to rip people off

do you have an idea how many square metres the roof is, then you might get an opportunity to compare rates

Thank you,

The area is about 650-700sqm

Sponsored Links
Thank you,

The area is about 650-700sqm
So that’s £250 per square metre.

is that expensive? - it could be around about right these days, I don’t know.

what roofing system is it - I would guess a single ply roofing system like sarnafil

They do not mentioned insulation, I believe it is already there. They mentioned poly sheets, with waterproof membrane, so I gues something very simple.

Regardless of already there it needs to be to regs . I doubt it will be anywhere near .
It's a question you should ask ,
You need specifics

If you have had your s20 consultation, then you would have been given the opportunity to request a quote from a contractor of your choice. Then you'd see a comparable quote.

When you got the second notification with the quotes, you would see the itemised costs.

Finally if your landlord does not select the lowest quote you'd be given a third notification advising you why.

Generally, the prices quoted will be based on the specifications - specifications you could have commented on when you got your first notification, and could have made suggestions if you thought them wrong.

So the landlord is not "charging you", but those are the quoted costs he is being charged for doing the work that he is obligated to do under the lease terms, and terms you agreed to when you signed up.

Since 2010, when a property is to be re-roofed, or more than 25% of the existing roof is to be replaced, or an extension is added that is at least 25% of the size of the existing house, it is compulsory to upgrade loft insulation to comply with current Building Regulation requirements.

I guess you could argue an overlay is a repair ???

Overlay implies a flat roof. In such cases overlaying with a suitable product would be more cost effective and negate the need to alter insulation.

"Consider" upgrading the insulation is the requirement, it's not compulsory to upgrade it.

I think the op should check with BC .
In this area it is a requirement , flat (as in this case ) or pitched

Fwiw, it's sounds like he will be paying top dollar so it could have been included .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back