Block off/close gas flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hopefully a simple question but I wanted to check I'm taking the right approach. Just bought a house and been working through various jobs (previous owners bodges).

When we had the heating engineer in he removed an old gas fire for us (mid 80's original to match the house), leaving us with the opening at the rear. This needs blocking off and I wanted to check what I need to do. The arrangement is that there was an opening at the rear of the fire which lead to the flue, this runs up a 'stack' in the lounge, disappears into the party wall with no stack on the first floor, and re-emerges into the loft then runs out through the roof with a fairly standard flue cap (as far as I can tell).

I intend to block off the opening but I wanted to check:-

-Should I use battons and plasterboard to block the opening or brick;
-Do I need to provide a vent - I'm unclear on this because its a flue rather than a chimney. If not should I block the flue itself.

Any help would be really appreciated. And if you need any photos o=r more info I'll get it added ASAP,

J

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back