Block Paving - cause for complaint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had some block paving done and to my untrained eye it's a shoddy job. I would like some opinions on whether I have cause for complaint or am I being fussy?

Main issues -

1. they didn't pave all the way to replace the existing drive. They just threw topsoil over an area to extend the lawn. Why? No idea, maybe didn't bring enough papers.

2. Misaligned edging - OK there's a bit of a corner to negotiate around where the bay window comes in but surely there is a better looking way.
20220914_185630.jpg

3. Lots of partial blocks used, not just around the edges.

This company has 4.9 stars with 50+ reviews across multiple sites so not sure if I'm just unreasonable.

20220914_191820.jpg
20220914_191808.jpg
20220914_185700.jpg

20220914_185615.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don't think it has been planned properly so the pattern the paviour was trying to make was impossible. It's as if he has two patterns running at the same time and they don't work together.

Sponsored Links
You know, I know and everybody knows it's a rubbish job as far as layout goes. I suggest you ask them to come back and re-do around the bay before you post all these photos and links to them on the local forums and review sites. Fixing it to look decent isn't so much work - they should want to do it rather than leave it like that.

Definitely not planned out correctly and when/if he realised he had got it wrong, instead of stopping and correcting, he blindly carried on. Was it one guy doing it or two of them? If it was two of them they should have spoken to each other and worked together, not separately to try and meet up.
As stated, the edges should have been a continuous straight edge with no cut back. In the first picture near the bottom, if they hadn't stepped the edge bricks back then the bricks on the left could have been rotated 90 degrees to match the ones above to retain the pattern.
Under the bay, (pictures 3 & 5), the inner row next to the edge running at approximately 45 degrees should have been pulled back in line where the edge turns. This would have brought the inner blocks into line with the edge block turning left to run across the bay. This in turn would have meant the path blocks running across the bay could have had the two left ones turned 90 degrees to keep within the pattern of the adjacent ones and, where necessary, the adjoining blocks accordingly. It appears as though he has combined a basket weave pattern with a herringbone pattern and this is what I think has caused him to go wrong.
You never cut paviours lengthwise as they have done her. It looks an absolute mess. I don't know how much you paid to have it done but it certainly wasn't done by a professional. I'd get them back to correct it. It you are unsure how to explain to them how you expected it to look then download some pictures from the internet which will show him what you want. Have a look at some of these. They may show you how it should look when done properly.

https://www.mgbdrivewaysandpatios.co.uk/driveway-gallery/ (Image 10 of 47 in this link).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back