Blocked Garden drain !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I got my house back from my tenant and I find the garden drain chamber is always filled with water and I do not remember it having been this way...Emptied it with a small cup..cleared quite a bit of muck from the chamber bottom but I am not sure if I have achieved anything so far...It is still filling like a kettle and retaining water at that level..
I do not understand the design structure of these units and do not quite know if there is a particular opening/blockage I should look for. I think the kitchen outlet also opens in/around the same place in some fashion although I have not noticed any kitchen water / waste accumulating in the chamber. I can see a detachable rubber cap on a pipe but do not understand what to make of it ? Any advice is hugely appreciated.

cheers
skt

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 21.36.47 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 21.36.47 (3).jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 28
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 21.36.47 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 21.36.47 (2).jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 23
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 21.36.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 21.36.47.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
So, I got my house back from my tenant and I find the garden drain chamber is always filled with water and I do not remember it having been this way...Emptied it with a small cup..cleared quite a bit of muck from the chamber bottom but I am not sure if I have achieved anything so far...It is still filling like a kettle and retaining water at that level..
I do not understand the design structure of these units and do not quite know if there is a particular opening/blockage I should look for. I think the kitchen outlet also opens in/around the same place in some fashion although I have not noticed any kitchen water / waste accumulating in the chamber. I can see a detachable rubber cap on a pipe but do not understand what to make of it ? Any advice is hugely appreciated.

cheers
skt
Put your rubber gloves on, pull the black sleeve out, and scoop out the rubbish.

Or get some drain rods and see what's what, can be had for about £20. And head the warning of only turning it clockwise. You stick the rods down the hole that had the bung in it, the one described as 'Used to empty manhole if U bend is blocked' below.

It's a bit like this:

drain-interceptor-trap-diagram.jpg

Sponsored Links
In a u-bend you would expect there to be some water. I'd only be concerned if it rises up. Check the next chamber along the run.

Although doing a bit of drain rodding shouldn't hurt.

I see in the first picture there is a cap fiited in the gully and it has been removed in the second picture. When you run the taps, does the gully overflow with the cap removed? or does it overflow when the cap is fitted?

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back