Blocked shower drain - what REALLY works?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been cleaning out the under-shower trap regularly for years but recently it's still sluggish so reluctantly I've concluded that the hair and scum have now accumulated further downstream. I built the pipework so that it could be dismantled (long run with a very gentle fall through wall and under adjacent bath) but really can't face the arris-ache of taking it all apart and cleaning out the disgusting slime and hair, which makes me heave.

Is there an easy fix? What miracle product can I pour down?

Sponsored Links
I've not found a product that works really effectively, probably because anything really strong would either damage the plastic pipes / seals, or contains chemicals that shouldn't be discharged into the public drains.

A decent plunger works well when I have this problem. The waste pipe doesn't have to be completely blocked for it to work.

I'm not sure there is.

Most of those strong disolving solutions need time to work, so they're great for disolving the hair etc that gets collected by shower traps - because you fill up the shower trap with them and leave them overnight to work.

In your case I'd imagine that the solution will pretty quickly drain away, and so won't have time to disolve all the crap in the pipe. Can't you get a drain rod, or pipe cleaner down there?

I run a hose from a faucet and force hot water down the drain for a minute or so. You can make a gasket from rags.
Depending on where the restriction is dirty water may come out of other drains or vent pipes on the roof so have helpers standing by.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Will borrow a suction cup then try the caustic, got some of that in the labs here at work I think.

Make sure that the "suction cup" is one of these

and not one of these cheap DIY shed items

If there's an overflow on your shower tray then you will need to cover it up during the plunging operation to stop the pressure escaping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back