Blocked shower waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0938.JPG
We recently moved house and the shower is blocked. I can't find the drain hole - please help. I've attached an image. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have a Henry Hoover or a Hoover you not to worried about breaking stick it down and turn it on it will unblock it.

I say not worried about breaking my Henry didn't break when I did this but is a possibility as some water will come out at same time.

Hair, clean the hair out of it every week & you'll not have a problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your answer - can you explain how I can get to the drainage hole to unblock it - thanks in advance.

Does the shower waste come out of the exterior wall, with its own pipe? Is there a cleaning access eye on it? That's where you should look first and see if you can unblock it there. The other thing to try is a plunger - if you don't have a wet vac.

It's a top access shower trap & you may not feel the outlet from above. Blast it with the shower hose with the head off, then plunge it with a sink plunger.
That should do it.

You could try pouring caustic soda down there to unblock it.

Be careful and only add crystals in very small quantities. When caustic soda crystals meet water the reaction produces heat, this heat can be enough to fuze the un-reacted crystals into a solid plug that totally blocks the pipe. The reaction can be violent enough to blow caustic liquid out of the plug hole resulting in caustic burns to the person's face and hands.

Last edited:
Can you get the water out of the waste connection and post another photo.There may be a pull out part lower down.

photos of the run of that pipe could help.

Maybe garden hose pushed down the shower waste will have enough pressure to move the carp along but it might block further down the drains.

If using caustic products be careful and be prepared to RLF

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you see with a torch into it and is everything you see clear?

Have you actually tried a plunger?

Tony

Thanks for all your advice. There isn't an external wall pipe - it sounds like the water goes into the the toilet waste pipe. The bathroom is fully tiled. We tried a plunger but don't want to chance soda. Have attached another image without water to see if anyone has seen one like this before. Thank again

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 150
As I said, it's a top access shower trap, like a bottle trap. You'll likely not see the outlet.
I hope the waste pipe is clipped & the correct gradient. Plenty water & a plunger. Easy does it.

Thanks, PullerGas. I've used bicarbonate of soda and vinegar, then hot water and plunger. This seems to have worked so will try it out later. Thanks again to all. Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back