Blocked Water Mains Pipe Due to Broken Off Stop Tap Part

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had Yorks Water out yesterday to check something on the external water meter (may have a leak), I mentiioned I'm due to change the internal stop tap as it's not closing off properly (existing stop tap has been in the house approx 30 yrs, maybe more).

The Engineer offered to change the top of the tap (handle, spindle, gland nut & the housing below) from a new stop tap into the existing body of the old tap. He mentioned as long the threads match it'll be fine, as you don't have to change the whole tap. When he took the old section out it had the jumper & washer missing??? Now the tap had worked a few weeks ago when I shut the water off, but only 60-70%.....hence it needed changing.

Once all was back up & running we've found no water at all is getting to the sinks or WC's in the house. There is water getting to the internal stop tap from the main outside supply, but not to any internal taps. As I have been using that existing stop tap for the last 30 yrs it has always worked, so the only logical conclusion can be that the jumper has corroded over the years & fallen into the main pipe run & caused a blockage (according to the YW chap)?

No other stop taps in the house (I've been in here 30 yrs) & it's defo worked previously, but was defo on it's way out also hence I wanted it changed.

I can't believe it tbh. The Yorks Water chap was here a few hours to help but couldn't do much more as it's my responsibility after the meter in the footpath technically.

He mentioned cutting the main pipe AFTER the stop tap, then blowing back through the mains pipe (maybe via an external tap), to hopefully push the jumper / blockage out????

Any advice at all would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Possible the new tap head inside it too long and the jumper washer is too thick and stopping water coming out of middle seat. Are you able to turn handle, how many turn to on?

Is there water to kitchen cold tap, shraight from main?

I always renew whole stopcock as renewing tap head is not 100% reliable.

Daniel.

Awkward one.

It's rare to loose a jumper - I've never seen one so corroded that it could escape into the pipework. Have fished bits of brittled out washers from
inside taps and stopcocks tho'.

If you turn off water at meter and remove new headworks on stoptap do you see only brass seat inside? And if you then turn water on for a second does it jet out? And if so what happens if you refit old headgear sans jumper?

Otherwise yes, time for new stopcock and backwash with mains pressure.

I do hope your pipework isn't old threaded iron immovably boxed in.

Could be that the original stopcock was installed the wrong way
round.

This would prevent the water flowing and instead of refitting the
stopcock in the correct direction the plumber just took out the jumper
to save time and effort.

Can you see an arrow on the old part? Should be pointing in the direction of flow.

Sponsored Links
It's rare to loose a jumper - I've never seen one so corroded that it could escape into the pipework

+1. Sounds like the new stopcock head isn't entirely compatible with the old body.

Apologies for the late reply all & thanks for taking the time to reply.....I've been ill since the stop tap episode.

Firstly the original stop tap was installed incorrectly in wrong direction (for the last 30 yrs!) & doesnt appear the old stop tap had a jumper.

Had an emergency chap turn up, shrugged his shoulders when I explained what may have happened. Changed the whole stop tap for a new one......it worked 100%, no drop in pressure & installed it the correct way round now also.

Only £140 for the pleasure ;)

At least it works now, lesson learnt.....never try to 'mix & match' fittings, if you're gonna change it, change the whole fitting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back