Blocking a chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I would like to block the bottom of my chimney for insulation reasons - would I have ventilation problems if I leave the top open, i.e. as is?

I've being looking at these:

http://www.chimney-balloon.co.uk/

Anyone have any experience of this type of thing?

Regards,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
Yes , liable to have damp if it's not ventilated, just reduce the size of the chimney flue , don't block it.

Yes , liable to have damp if it's not ventilated, just reduce the size of the chimney flue , don't block it.
It's probably a daft question, but - why does it need to be open at both ends? I guess that this allows a *flow* of air, rather than just *access* to air?

Would this explain why partially blocking (i.e. reducing) with a product such as that I gave a link for earlier, is ok, as long as the blockage isn't total?

why does it need to be open at both ends? I guess that this allows a *flow* of air, rather than just *access* to air?
You got it in one ;) ; you also need a rain cap on the top to stop

the rain getting in!

Sponsored Links
Although it's highly unlikely I'll do this, what about removing the chimney altogether? How big a job is this, for someone who knows what they're doing? I see a number of houses like mine that are minus a chimney...

(Obviously I know I won't be able to have a gas fire anymore!)

Do you have an installed gas fire at the moment?

Removing the lot, and making good ( no decorating ) in structural terms it's not a "big job", but it's a dusty, messy business. Costs: what precisely is involved - rooms, openings, loft, cellar, stack? Research on this forum.

Although it's highly unlikely I'll do this,
What’s highly unlikely? If your referring to rain entering an open pot, damp/rain permeating down the brick courses in the stack & lack of ventilation causing condensation then think again. You won’t notice it immediately & sometimes not for a few years but it will get you in the end, do some research; but hey it’s your property, do as you want!

what about removing the chimney altogether? How big a job is this, for someone who knows what they're doing? I see a number of houses like mine that are minus a chimney...(Obviously I know I won't be able to have a gas fire anymore!)
It’s still a bit of a job even if you know what you’re doing; it’s very messy, won’t be cheap & is notifyable building work. Not worth the hassle unless the stack is unsafe & why spoil the property for someone in the future who may relish the opportunity of an open or even a new gas fire!

Although it's highly unlikely I'll do this,
What’s highly unlikely? If your referring to rain entering an open pot, damp/rain permeating down the brick courses in the stack & lack of ventilation causing condensation then think again. You won’t notice it immediately & sometimes not for a few years but it will get you in the end, do some research; but hey it’s your property, do as you want!

what about removing the chimney altogether? How big a job is this, for someone who knows what they're doing? I see a number of houses like mine that are minus a chimney...(Obviously I know I won't be able to have a gas fire anymore!)
It’s still a bit of a job even if you know what you’re doing; it’s very messy, won’t be cheap & is notifyable building work. Not worth the hassle unless the stack is unsafe & why spoil the property for someone in the future who may relish the opportunity of an open or even a new gas fire!
I meant it's highly unlikely I'll remove the chimney, but despite the misunderstanding, your explantion was good info :)

Given the responses here (thanks, all), I'll forget the chimney removal idea - as I said, it was just a thought really, I was never likely to actually do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back