Blocking up a unused chimney breast and ventilation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,
I hope you can help with the following questions I have .

I need a wall hung gas fire removing and the supply capping off(below floorboards level).

I will get a professional to do this , but I wish to do the following myself if possible to save money

The house is a 190 30's ish semi, normal construction the chimney has a cowl on but is not capped off.

My questions are;

Do i need to fit a ventilation grill in the chimney breast ?, we are hoping to take it back to bare bricks and partially replace the bricks where the fire flue entered the chimney breast with matching bricks.

should the chimney be capped off and if so does this remove the need for ventilating the chimney ?

many thanks in advance for any advice given

Glenn

Sponsored Links
There's masses of recent threads on this very subject here on the building forum.
"where the fire flue entered the chimney breast" - use any second hand common bricks.
Why "partially replace the bricks" - what do you intend?
Sweep all your flue(s), and use a "ventilation grill" in the room chimney breast - leave the cowl in place at the stack terminal.

Hi Vinn ,

Thanks for your speedy response , by the phrase "partially replace the bricks" . I thought it would it would allow more ventilation if I left one brick out and covered that gap with a ventilation grill.

Is that not a good idea , and if not what is the normal practice?.

Many thanks

Glenn

Sponsored Links
BTW, I did a search in the plumbing forum , not this one , you are correct there are loads about it in this one

Cheers

Glenn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back