Blocks don’t match advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have had some works done on our building after a car crashed into it, the blockwork on the building exterior was damaged. A contractor has since been (although has not yet been paid) and done the work seen in the photos. It looks terrible in my opinion and really devalues the property. The blocks are a different colour and grade no? The older surrounding ones are porous rather than smooth. I understand the contractor claims that the previous type of block can’t be obtained anymore and the old ones have faded which causes a mismatch. This sounds unlikely to me? Can someone confirm this is a load of cobblers?
They also said it still needs finishing/pointing.
Thanks a lot,
Ritch

80E409FD-D548-48C1-BF53-F7C7B90002B4.jpeg

Attachments

• 87C0A27F-3B16-480B-9AA2-766BD1A2B553.jpeg
    87C0A27F-3B16-480B-9AA2-766BD1A2B553.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 9EE8090F-94F4-4590-85F7-D17E24246DCF.jpeg
    9EE8090F-94F4-4590-85F7-D17E24246DCF.jpeg
    834.4 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Are the smooth blocks the new ones?

I reckon they were what was left over from another job - shouldn't be that hard to get hold of standard concrete blocks...

Last edited:
I used some similar looking blocks to those old concrete blocks in some footings last week. So better matching blocks are available.

Sponsored Links
In some places, they don't even look like they have mortar between them.

I would not be happy.

Thanks very much for your quick responses. The smooth blocks are the new ones yes,

HERTS P&D, regrettably I couldn’t be there to oversee the works. The contractor hasn’t been paid yet.

Thanks again everyone, that’s really useful.

They look like paint grade blocks, which are much smoother. You might be able to acid etch the face to get them looking similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back