Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We are having our extension built using blocks. Our builder has requested we use 7.3n lightweight blocks but our architect says use 7.3n dense blocks. We are having some steel work but in but as far as I understand...if the compressive strength is the same then it doesnt matter whether you use lightweight or dense?
The lightweight also had better thermal properties.

Sponsored Links
Isn't 7.3 the minimum strength so provided that meets the load bearing requirements, lightweights shouldn't be a problem?

Blup

Why ask us? ask your architect!
Why not ask you? I was trying to understand if there is a difference other than weight of the block. Baffling why you would go out of your way to post something that isnt in the slightest helpful but never mind mattylad...as long as you're happy.

Sponsored Links
No dude, your suggesting changes by your builder.

Your architect is the person you need to ask if it's OK to do, the architect may have made calculations etc. based on what they have specified and this change may affect that.
Some random person on the internet may or may not know the answer, may just tell you what you want to hear.

Your architect is the person responsible for the design, ask them.

get another builder .
Your plans are passed on dense block.

Rather than ask your architect i would ask your structural engineer as he will know more about that then the architect.

Generally 7.3 is good for double story.

He probably specified dense as there wasnt a need for the extra thermal properties. lightweight provides i.e the dense worked with the insulation specified.

What is the cavity and insulation specified?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back