Blockwork for windows and lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am doing the block work on my extension and I'm wondering the best way to continue around the ground floor windows.

I can run a full course of 75mm blocks on top of my wall now which leaves me at the correct height for the window and then the coursing is also correct for the lintel, or I carry on with the block work, insert 75mm under just the window and 75mm under the lintels. Hopefully the my pic will show you what i mean.

I'm thinking option "A" would be best although this means running a 75mm course all the way around the extension, can i cut my Celcon blocks to 75mm for this? They are lightweight blocks by the way.

Not to scale :rolleyes:

Cheers for any input.

window blocks.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cheers for your reply.

The top picture means your coursing is out so it doesn't work for your cavity boards to wall ties

That's a good point, I didn't think of that!

Assuming a 6" (150mm lintel)

I think it'll be 150mm although not got them spec'd yet.

We (me) go to the trouble of cutting the shaped blocks that go beyond the window jamb

I have a cutting saw, so could do this. They are lightweight (look at them and they snap!) blocks, do you reckon cutting them into an L would weaken them anymore?

Sponsored Links
And yes, I'm a cruel gaffer who makes the lads fill even the backs of the blocks too.:sneaky:

you reckon cutting them into an L would weaken them anymore?
They can't be any weaker than a block that has been deliberately cut. I do agree that for what strength you get from the more slender angled cuts, you may as well not bother. But for those with a bit of meat left - worth the effort methinks.

With new blockwork, you always follow a 225mm gauge for the block wall, and deal with openings by having cuts below, and cuts for the bearings of lintels or beams as necessary to get them to the required height, and then if necessary cuts above the lintel to get back to the 225mm gauge of the adjacent blockwork.

With new blockwork, you always follow a 225mm gauge for the block wall, and deal with openings by having cuts below, and cuts for the bearings of lintels or beams as necessary to get them to the required height, and then if necessary cuts above the lintel to get back to the 225mm gauge of the adjacent blockwork.

Cheers, makes sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back