blow off pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cant find rules/regulations/bylaws regarding this, could you point me in the right direction regarding this, also, do you guys personally record a problem with this,ie blow off not returned to wall, when you re completeing a landlords certificate. Got myself into another argument at work, lost last time so im not even going to state my position on this one yet. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
might be wrong but i think its a water reg but it should not be above a opening such as doorway or window and and has to point back to wall
but i think its ncs issue

At BG we record prv terminations as NCS if incorrect termination ,,also occasionally AR if left in a dangerous condition ...its better to record it than miss it and the crap hits the fan....

The discharge pipe must be terminated in such away as not to cause any danger or safety issues to any occupants of the building , (or passers bye) should it discharge in an overheat situation , a wrongly terminated discharge pipe can in certain circumstances be considered AT Risk .

Sponsored Links
cheers guys, what bylaw is this and is there anything regarding a blow off not needing to be returned as long as its 3 storeys up, this is what my fellow engineer is claiming

:) not aware of any bye law , but there would certainlly be a regulation , height of discharge pipe would have nothing to do with it . Safety , Duty of care e.c.t , remember any safety device must fail safe , and in this case fail safe must mean that it does not cause a danger to passers bye ,
I assume we are not talking about a discharge pipe from an unvented cylinder ?? IN your particular case 3 storeys up how do you prove it will fail safe?? if the pipe did discharge in an overheat situation & cause injury to some one , a high court judge would take little or no interest in the fact that someone turned the pipe back to the wall , you would have a problem !!

cheers guys, and no its not from an unvented cylinder . Think ive won this one , dont know where he got the 3 storey rule from either.

The discharge pipe must be terminated in such away as not to cause any danger or safety issues to any occupants of the building , (or passers bye) should it discharge in an overheat situation , a wrongly terminated discharge pipe can in certain circumstances be considered AT Risk .

Sorry but the bold bit's completely not true. At Risk & ID are related directly to Gas Safety only.
The installation is only ncs beause there's a blanket requirement that Installation Instructions are adhered to.

Sorry but the bold bit's completely not true. At Risk & ID are related directly to Gas Safety only.
The installation is only ncs beause there's a blanket requirement that Installation Instructions are adhered to.

I think what he means is, if the discharge pipe does not go through the wall and terminates inside the property this is classed as at risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back