Blown laminate worktop at edging dispute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to resolve blown worktop issue with supplier and manufacturer

The worktops were installed start of the year and after about 6 month I noticed the edging was starting to lift beside sink. It has lifted in 4 places beside the sink , 1 of which is particularly bad (pic attached) . Note: this is a factory edge..

The manufacturer of the worktop Nobil*a have offered me replacement worktops ( 3 in total) and the all splash back as a "good will gesture". However, I will need to pay for the work myself

The manufacturer of worktop has said the fault is due to standing water being left. I am not convinced.

My concerns are, this will just happen again if same worktop, same manufacturing processing etc. Also, why should I be out of pocket for the cost of replacement for something which is no fault of mine

Can anyone advise on what I should do in this situation?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027_074514_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027_074514_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 310
Sponsored Links
In terms of durability a worktop with a post formed edge (i.e. a single piece of laminate wrapped over a pre-formed rolled edge) would be a better option simply because there is no joint in the laminate surface. My own opinion is that the design of your worktop is somewhat questionable and that if water is left standing on any joint on any laminate worktop this type of failure can (will) eventually occur.

The manufacturer obviously doesn't want to admit liability, but is willing to supply replacement worktops which to my mind indicates that they may consider themselves at least potentially partly but not completely, liable. Under the circumstances I would consider asking the manufacturer if they could supply replacement worktops with post formed edges as opposed to the bonded laminate edges of your current tops. Then I'd probably fit them myself (but I am a carpenter, so maybe less of an ask) - and thereafter I'd ensure that water was never left standing on any corner joints or where the worktop meets the upstand, around inset appliances, etc and that all spills and splashes were mopped up promptly. That way I'd be reasonably sure to get 10+ years out of my tops

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply

I asked about replacing worktop for one with rolled edge as you mentioned but can only get exact same worktops as replacement

Supplier Informed I have more than likely just been "unlucky" as this is very uncommon

I've decided to take the replacement workrops splash back etc and just store them and change in 5 yrs time. I have a 1.5yr old child so am reluctant to change out everything just now when all other aspects of the kitchen are fine

Sponsored Links
Beware long term storage of worktops! The problem is that the worktops are only laminated on the top surface which makes them prone to upping a cross the width in storage, so it may work, or may not. The laminates also become more brittle with age which makes avoiding chip out when cutting worktops to length, for example, more of an issue

Back