Blown Plaster on the Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbishing a Victorian House. It has had woodchip on the walls since God was a boy and I have taken it off. The paper came off with a steamer and the plaster is in tact underneath apart from some very minor small patches. However, it is "hollow" sounding in a lot of places. Can I get away with covering this with "trade grade" (1000) lining paper. Is that going to work?
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Of course, but you've answered your own question. The plaster is blown, i.e. needs replacing. Sorry, but that's how it is, been there, done it, suffered !!

I had this problem a lot in my old place, and that was only built in the 60s. We chose to sand and paint the walls and I successfully patched areas of plaster that came off unprovoked and left the rest, loose or not. It stayed there six or seven years, I assume because the paint added another skin.

Plasterers in my area (Reading) are looking for £250 to skim a 10x10 bedroom, so unless you're looking for a perfect finish for painting, I'd take a gamble on the paper.

Nick

And there was me wondering how you came up with your nick :LOL:

Painting and covering up is very well, but when you come to sell the place and they happen to notice blown plaster (either because they tap on the walls themselves or get a full survey done), they will wonder what else you haven't done.

No need to skim the whole room. Seeing as it is just small places just chip out the blown plaster (won't take much provoking) and replaster those areas.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I have now spent many evenings and weekends hacking off blown plaster which is the filthiest job known to man. The whole thing is being re-plastered apart from 2 rooms where the majority is not bad. The ceilings are all being overboarded etc so we should hopefully end up with a pretty good finish.

Use your imagination with the nick! ;)

I've been quite sucessful in the past by injecting pva mixed with warm water into blown plaster...

you'd be surprised how easy it is to 'stick' it back onto the wall!!

Not so much use on the walls, but if you have fancy ceilings with ornate pasterwork, it can be worth the extra effort.

cheers

bodger67 said:
Plasterers in my area (Reading) are looking for £250 to skim a 10x10 bedroom

Slightly off subject, I found someone in Slough who did my mother-in-law's whole living room for £120. (Weekend work) He's doing my living room next weekend ;) Drop me a pm if you want his number!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back