Blown vinyl vs Anaglypta ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate comments on the pro's and cons of Blown vinyl vs Anaglypta for the hall and stairs of a house that we have recently bought {since I retired}.

The house is only 30 years old, so the walls are in decent shape, no remedial work needs to be done, I've already done the walls with lining paper, so it should be a fairly straight forward job.

I'm guessing that both types of paper can be painted over, we are looking for white walls to sort of increase the light in the hallway.

Bob.

Sponsored Links
Either will be fine blown vinyl has a flat back so is easier to hang than traditional embossed paper, less chance of denting if using a seam roller too.

I hear you John, for the most part they did look dated, but I've seen some more modern / contemporary designs, I'm looking at sort of random patterns rather than the block designs that anaglypta was known for.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input footprints, looks like blown vinyl would be easier to hang, that always helps a DIY'er.
Any thoughts on different grades of blown vinyl ?

I don't like embossed papers so have nothing positive to say, sorry.

I think blown vinyl may be easy to damage when you carry a piano upstairs.

To each his own John, I'm just running off what the Mr's likes, having said that we are both in our late 60's the problem with that is you like now what you liked 40 years ago, not realising that fashions have moved on.
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter though, every little helps, what would you suggest for a hall and stairway ?

All much of a muchness really. The more stippled the pattern is the less white it looks when painted. For example a plain ceiling always looks whiter than a stippled one because the raised points cast small shadows.

I don't like embossed papers so have nothing positive to say, sorry.

I think blown vinyl may be easy to damage when you carry a piano upstairs.
well there is always Lincrusta bomb proof!:p:p

Thanks John & footprints for your comments, they've nudged me in the right direction and I appreciate that.

Thanks for the input footprints, looks like blown vinyl would be easier to hang, that always helps a DIY'er.
Any thoughts on different grades of blown vinyl ?

I'm not sure of your taste, or what type of pattern you're looking for, but I can say that I've literally hung thousands of rolls of Super Fresco White Snow. It's pretty neutral, and covers problem walls wonderfully, not that you seem to have that issue. It was extremely popular with people of your age when I was using it, but be warned that it does have a pattern match which, at first glance, may appear impossible to find.

https://everydiy.uk/p/diy.com/5011655007868/Graham-Brown-Superfresco-White-Snow-Paintable-Wallpaper

What about a nice bit of wood chip paper - that’ll be right up your street. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back