BMW i3 road trip to Amsterdam... what could possibly go wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't you just know it ?

-0-

Sponsored Links
Imagine if there wasn't a range extender generator :eek:
I wonder how much the range is reduced when using a) Headlights B) Air conditioning C) Heating? (How are these cars heated anyway?)
John :)

How are these cars heated anyway?

Older ones, an electric PTC resistive type heater... (taken out of a Smart EV)

electric-heater.jpg

Newer cars, some fancy heat-pump thingy that uses less energy... (Nissan leaf)

f51a43cc98c89e.gif

Sponsored Links
I wonder what the current draw is like?

That smart car one is 1500w, and they have a nominal 55.6V battery pack, so

1500/55.6=approx 27 Amps

Just one battery pack has 53Ah, but I don't know how many packs they have installed in parallel. :oops:

Also, in that link above, you can see the battery packs have coolant pipes, so maybe they do heat the cabin with that fluid once the batteries warm up enough (or do they only get really hot when charging, IDK!?), and the electric heater I posted above is just for an extra boost perhaps.

Gaz :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Either way, that's one hell of a current draw so the range must be seriously affected!
Wondering if there are any electric car owners on here.....
John :)

I was out hooning around in a P100D a few days back, even after some heavy footed driving in ludicrous mode and a reasonable amount of aircon and mucking about with the toys it still showed 180 miles after about 60 miles of fun. Insane acceleration/performance - hard to justify the purchase price though.

The heat pump is a good idea.. by running it in reverse it should cool the car also

Sponsored Links
Back