Board/insulation solution for single skin kitchen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a single skin concrete block extension with cement render.

The walls appear to have had a number of various coats of lime render, gypsum and then finally fully tiled.

There was no ventilation and mosture has been trapped in the mixture of coatings above.

I'm taking it back to bare block and it's drying out nicely now. Ventilation improved with humidistat fans and dehumidifier.

I'm at the point in looking to re finish the walls ready for the new kitchen.

I was thinking 20mm cork board and a 2 layer of lime with reinforcement. This would be breathable.

I'm wondering if I could do something with more modern materials?

Such as a layer of celotex, wooden batterns and normal plasterboard on the external walls. On the internal walls I could do with a slim solution as the kitchen is very small.

Welcome your thoughts.

I know the u value will be poor in there. We will be improving the ceiling insulation and putting some radiators in there.

Sponsored Links
I'll probably use something like that.

My current thinking is wycamol slim membrane (3mm dimples) so wall can breathe if moisture is trapped.

On external walls ill 50mm timber and insulated plasterboard onto the membrane. On internal walls I'll scrap the timber and dot/dab direct onto the membrane

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back