bodged roof??

as said ply gusset will get over it we always put them on trussed hip roofs and i was taught to put them on cut roofs too rarely do but always found it good practice

Sponsored Links
if it works for you then fair enough. Not for me.
Works for me? Eh?

It is EXPECTED of a joiner to fit a ply gusset when collecting the deeper hip timber plumb cuts because the ridge plumb cut is not normally deep enough. Would you ask your joiner to remove a ply gusset in that case?

Baffled.

The first rafters will be there covering it in any case, so it wont matter.
...and the rafters will immediately be taking up any downward thrust from that ridge board. The lateral thrust from those short hips will be negligible.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes, you might just have a 3.2m ridge board, but the size you need is 3.225 and the roof needs to go on that morning. :whistle:

I'm confused. The question seems to refer to the short vertical lighter green 'packing piece' at the end of the ridge board, whereas some of the answers seem to refer to what appears to be the darker green and grottier piece of 'shed wood' atop the hip rafter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back