Bodger tries to clean Quarry Tiles before levelling compound

My tiles were covered in black tar, so i poured white spirit on them, brushed it with a yard brush, and mopped the floor with hot water with a degreaser in. I repeated this a couple of times, and jobs a good 'un.

Sponsored Links
Oh. I just noticed that this thread is over 3 years old. Kinda like talking in an empty room, eh?

Hello?

I should probably stop.

I hope the floor is ok. Probably moved house by now.

I know it's an old post...but .thinners..or gun wash from a paint suppliers, awesome cleaner.

You'll be as high as a kite tho.,

Sponsored Links
\me waits for BAS to post his mega pic created for just this purpose. :)

White spirit is a petroleum fraction - less volatile than petrol, more than paraffin or diesel, so basically an aliphatic hydrocarbon oil. There are various alicyclic compounds found in white spirits, which contribute to the odour, low odour forms being the cleanest. White spirit has been implicated as a cumulative neurotoxin in "Chronic Painter's Syndrome".

Where these mineral oils are used, it is often possible to substitute them with a non-volatile vegetable oil. Instead of using best sunflower oil, I keep old chip oil. It cleans brushes like white spirit, diluting oil-based paint, and cleans paint off the skin much more gently, without the volatile elements that dry and irritate the skin in white spirit.

Rather than acting primarily as solvents, the hydrophobic oils coat the organic resins and plastics that make up the glue, preventing them from adhering together again, so in conjunction with an abrasive medium - it could be steel wool as in Brillo pads, or sharp sand, or even sugar crystals as a hand cleaner, the vegetable oil is effective in detaching from the substrate and removing adhesives, paints and bitumen.

Stainless steel pan scourers are more sturdy than steel wool, and do not leave particles behind that can rust and stain, and are less likely to produce puncture wounds than the steel wool can.

The final clean off can be done with washing up liquid and warm water, which is formulated to deal with organic oils in its stated uses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back