Body filler recommendations please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to remove the front wing on my Bora to dress it around the arch. Can anyone recommend a robust filler to fill the rust pores once I've wire brushed them out?

The mid arch and rear sponges are to remove, those being the water retaining cause of the wing eating problem on the VWs.

Sponsored Links
Isopon P38 is about the best you'll get.
Don't expect the repair to last too long, the rust will show in no time :( Speaking from vast experience!
Is a pattern or replacement wing out of the question?
John :)

Cheers John!

I read somewhere that smearing the entire inner wing with grease severely impedes the rust return.

I’ve tried every rust preventing compound on the market and once its there, its there......nothing to stop you trying some grease - anything will arrest the corrosion for a short time, but give it 6 months its back again :(

Sponsored Links
Ahh, the good old days, spending every other Sunday putting catty and P40 filler into Viva wings and sills and then having to do it all over again in a few weeks.
There's no replacement for metal.

A work colleague of my fathers years ago painted the underside of his cars with grease and it did work.
I’ve read of grease/used engine oil mixes working well too, messy though!

It used to be a trick way back in the 70's to do this.....I never did it but I did find the oil would collect dust and drop off, leaving the usual corrosion visible.
High sulphur steel and acids present in old oil no doubt played their part!

Would anyone be brave enough to take a punt on one of these wings?

About £35 more than a tin of filler and I already have the 3 pack aerosol paint.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm with John, I have been trying to stop cars going rusty for 65 years now! The most successful treatment so far has been spraying the underside with oil once a year, paying particular attention to the cavities.

The sills I treat by squirting oil in through any orifice I could find, if there isn't one, removing one of the tread plate screws (if it has them) is effective, you need to keep squirting it in until it starts to run out.

I have used Waxoil but unless the weather is very hot it tends to set before it penetrates the seams which is where the rust often starts, oil on the other hand will and keeps on creeping. Waxoil is very good for exposed surfaces all the while it stays there and for making sure nuts and bolts come undone next time you need them too.

Grease is also an excellent rust retardant all the while it stays there, you need to remove any loose mud then plaster the backs of the panels with it but it will need doing regularly but lasts longer than oil. Its also good in cavities but not as easy to get in as oil.

Peter

Would anyone be brave enough to take a punt on one of these wings?

About £35 more than a tin of filler and I already have the 3 pack aerosol paint.
That would be my choice....I'd maybe consider one for the other side too and get them sprayed professionally. Depends on the piggy bank really and how long you intend to keep the car.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As others have said once rust starts it's almost impossible to stop.
I spent hours grinding back wheel arch rust spots on our Transporter to clean metal, treating, priming and touching up.
1 year later the rust is bleeding back through.
Cutting the metal out is the only sure way.

I'm now on the job and have removed the wing.

Is the inner side too far gone?

full

Its occurred to me that since the car is a 2003 and I'll likely be the last owner, I could wire brush the rust out and if the wing still has strength around the lip, I could simply apply some bitumen to make it look tidy.

A 1/2" black border around the wheel arch shouldn't look unsightly if painted on well.

Sponsored Links
Back