Boiler Cage Painted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So something simple but sometimes not as much.
We done some painting on the block of flat building and the boiler cage (similar to this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/pc28x165-flue-guard-280-x-150mm/4989g)
is sightly rusty.

Was thinking to buy new one but as I have some left over Hammerite black paint, I thought I could paint it.

Any objections to this? because of being a boiler cage? Boiler fume with hammerite paint?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It'll be fine. Don't fire the boiler until the paint has dried (the solvent probably burns quite well).
Unless you treat the rust it'll come through quite quickly, TBH Hammerite usually looks a bit naff anyway.

have tried and it was too much faff to paint so off to screwfix tomorrow to buy a new one.

However, one question, any alternative recommendation to Hammerite as metal paint? I have used it on rail for our properties, but after 2 years, it usually need to be done again, so open to better alternative.

However, one question, any alternative recommendation to Hammerite as metal paint?
Any high quality exterior gloss paint.
However the surfaces must be prepared properly first, which means removing old paint and any loose rust, chemically treating the rust that's left, then applying metal primer and undercoat.

All of the 'one coat slop over' things which claim to magically remove rust will fail. They are sold to the DIY market as quick fixes, with the manufacturers knowing full well that they will be back in a year or two to buy more.

Sponsored Links
A lot of the early ones weren't plastic coated. The moist condense flue gases eat the metal ones and they fall apart after a few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back