Boiler coming on randomly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo 3 60 PF boiler - controlled by a Danfoss FP715 programmer - don't expect any more info than that...I'm a girl!

The problem is that for about a week now the central heating is coming on whenever the hot water is programmed to come on, even though the thermostat is turned right down and the programmer is saying the heating isn't on!

I wonder if someone could give me a couple of suggestions as to what the problem might be....I have read some of the posts on here but was quite confused by them. So, if somebody would be so kind as to tell me in plain english, then when I do get round to getting it fixed I will feel more confident that I won't be getting ripped off!!! Thank you

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your 3 way diverter valve is not working as it should. This is a device that is usually somewhere in the vicinity of your hot water tank that really the heart of the heating/HW control. It has 3 pipes going into it and a a box on top about the size of a block of butter. This device controls the flow of the water that is heated by the boiler. It diverts the water to heat the water in your hot tank, or circulates it through the radiators to heat the house or even do both at the same time. Quite often at this time of year, when heating starts being used after a period of not being used, these valves can get stuck. A gentle thump may persuade it to move, or else if you can get a picture of it and post it onto the thread, (Guide can be found here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99672) the technical chaps here will be able to let you know exactly what make and model it is (Scarily some might even manage year of manufacture and what it had for dinner :) ) and if there are any tips for it's type.

Hope this helps and is simple enough for you.

Yes, I understood the message and I found the box.....and thumped it! I will see if thats solved the problem and if not, I will follow the rest of your advice....thanks again :D

Thumped it :eek: Its not your boyfriend :LOL: Gentle persuasion or caressing might help. Other than that change the actuator head ;)

Sponsored Links
Right..thumping it didn't work...and I certainly aren't going to start caressing it!! (kicking it maybe) So what's the actuator head? can I thump that?

The bit you thumped is the actuator head. Probably time to call a heating engineer as changing it is not a DIY job.

OK....I thought after I posted it that maybe that was what the thing I thumped was called! Definitely time to call in the experts....my DIY stretches to some things but not that far!!! thanks for your help everyone :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back