Boiler Condensation Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a bungalow and last year my neighbour installed a condensing boiler with on exhaust which hits the corner of my property and in cold weather the front and side become saturated with condensate . I have asked him to redirect the horizontal exhaust but he refuses as it complies with the 1200 mm rule re boiler exhausts. I am concerned about dampness particularly if it gets into the roof space. Building Control don’t want to know. Is there anyone else I can talk to

Thanks for any replies

PeterL

Sponsored Links
Building Control should be the ONLY place to go. Actually the building Regs state 2400mm from the boundary, though some manufacturers will allow this to be reduced in their installation instructions. If it really is a problem get a copy of the MI and read it. If it complies in all respects you will have to put up with it or erect a barrier to deflect the plume.

You may also be able to get it shifted on a technicality i.e too close to a corner, in either case you may have to do all the legwork to make it easy for Building Control to enforce their own Regs.

You are going to fall out with your neighbour anyway, so why not make it more fun by having a boundary dispute too, or plant some Leylandii :LOL:

Thanks meldrew's_mate I've just found the defra guide on the net which states 2.5 M for the distance to the boundary as well as giving advice on plume deflectors for condensing boilers.

Thanks again I'm up and running

PeterL

2.5m is only advisory not a requirement.

Environmental health are the boys to get onto with the big stick.

The regs say, the flue should not cause a nuisance to your neighbours.

Sponsored Links
Another thought, if you know the name of the plumber/Company and can get his Corgy number.

Phone, takes a week to get through :cry: or get onto their website and create merry hell to them, and or the HSE.

I was told by a training organisation that there was an actual court case in Hull where the products of combustion caused damage to a neighbours woodwork (sofit/facia). In the ruling the fitter was deemed responsiblke and had to not only alter the situation (which may have invloved moving the boiler I don't know) prevent future damage free of charge but had to pay in full for restoration work to neighbours property. In other words if damage actually occurs to the fabric of your building go after the fitter in law. Many of us **** through the eye of a needle trying to get it right, don't let these cheapscate quick fitters get away with it.

An interesting point of law, until any damage is done you can't win, as judgements are not made about something that might happen, only on what has happened.

It wouldn't harm to write to the fitter informing him of your intension to sue should the fabric of your building incurr damage. Wait around get your proof sit back and watch the builders repoint of for free and smile wryly as you watch the fitter move the boiler.

Would be interesting to find out more info on the Court case Paul ;)

Yes well it's only a second hand story and the man who told it killed himself on his motorbike, but it makes sense, you as the professional should be liable for the consequences of your professional actions.

I really would not recommend doing that!

Dying naturally in your sleep is bad enough to think about but think of the last few seconds as your bike slams into an oncoming car............

Funnily enough I did do it, that's why I'm not a despatch rider in central London anymore. Some stupid job agency sales girl drove her friends golf straight at me from the wrong side of the road. She hurt her leg poor dear, because my bike was embedded right into the bulkhead of her car pushing it into her leg, I did feel awful sorry for her, so did the ambulance man trying to get me to breath again while she asked him for assistance with her leg!

Lucky for me a police constable who rode motorbikes saw the whole thing, 'cause she claimed I came out of nowhere and went into the back of her!!!!

That sounds nasty pauk.

A fellow who I trained was a motor cycle dispatch rider for four years and he has never had an accident. Others tell me they usually last less that six months.

Another nice CORGI fellow I met a few months ago was off work for four years after his bike accident, now he is just working the last six months before he retires.

On retirement this summer he is planning to ride his bike to Russia!

Tony

I did 8 years at a - z city office, top rider some of that time.

Then tried to make a living as a photographer, nearly went bankrupt, went back on bikes for Express managed a few years, got myself out of debt so we didn't loose our house, then this incident.

It was a very hard life if you were a top rider, no let up, you could only keep your position by never turning down a job, many long cold evenings (almost dying of exposure as the sweat inside your clothing from a hard day runing up and down stairs in offices frose on you) riding out into the country, barving guard dogs at places such as Elton John's gaff, all big places in the country with dogs that don't like bike/ers.

Gas fitting is money for old roap.

Nursing was also a heck of a lot harder than gas fitting, but it was better paid. I had 27k in my last year as a nurse in 2001.

These small minded people who come on here complaining how much we earn haven't a clue, it's a well known fact nurses are underpaid. If that is so, how come I'm not on as good a wage as I was as a nurse? When I was a nurse we all complained about how well teachers were paid, Doctors complain about lawyers.

THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER. Get a life you moaners. If we're on that good money for little effort, get down to bandq for a footprint wrench some water pump pliers a wide jawed shifter, a philips and a flat screwdriver and see how you like it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back