Boiler Door Opened (By Itself!) And Won't Shut??!!

Sponsored Links
BT's predecessor - GPO, but a P45 is/was the completed form you got whenever you left a company.
As GPO engineer, you will know what 81 is

Must be P18 or such number form one got to explain ones wrongful actions

Other discussions:
Some DIY person removes the outer cover of a boiler, and within seconds people are bleating wildly about how it's unsafe and DIY types are not competent and can't do 26.9 checks and it's the end of the world as we know it.

This discussion:
Some RGI has clearly been negligent in not bothering to secure the cover properly and not checking anything and now people are rushing to their defence because mistakes can happen you know.
Although I agree with your sentiment, there is also a distinction to be made.

Whatever we consider to be acceptable work for a DIY'er to do, we should also abide by the forum rules on DIY gas work - which amongst other things, specifically mentions the outer cover...

Screenshot_20231226-161157_Chrome.jpg

As a professional (although not in this field), I personally, will give advice based on these rules.
Which may mean advising a DIYer against removing the cover of a room-sealed boiler, without getting it checked by an RGI afterwards.

When these type of issues come up, the forum rules almost make it a duty to mention competence etc.

Not withstanding the above, critism of an RGI for not securing a cover properly, could be warranted, although we don't know the full circumstances, i.e. the possibility of explosive ignition, as mentioned earlier.

Now, the cover is back on and the boiler is soon going to be checked over for safety by an RGI.
The OP has asked for advice, and has done the right thing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
so he had BG recently working on it but phoned the original installer from several years ago .
Now personally i think 99.9% of people would have phoned BG who had worked on it and who are there 24/7
Have you ever tried to contact BG?? Customer service is pathetic and to be honest, I'd rather use the guy who installed it than those useless @@@@@!! The guy who installed it lives down the road from me. BG could take a week to arrive. All I asked for is advice! Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:
Other discussions:
Some DIY person removes the outer cover of a boiler, and within seconds people are bleating wildly about how it's unsafe and DIY types are not competent and can't do 26.9 checks and it's the end of the world as we know it.

This discussion:
Some RGI has clearly been negligent in not bothering to secure the cover properly and not checking anything and now people are rushing to their defence because mistakes can happen you know.
So you saying a BT engineer is a DIY person?? lol! Maybe they are.... I don't know!! All I know it had not been touched by me or anyone else apart from the BT engineer. I don't mess around with boilers/gas etc as I am not qualified. I will be contacting BG (if I can!) to raise this issue. I will also link this thread!

How do you know that the top lugs on the outer cover were not out of shape such that they just engaged the tip of the pin. Boiler not serviced, electrodes now causing explosive ignition, cover gets blown. I have seen results of explosive ignition, it can distort metal with ease. Top of the case could succumb to such ignition I suspect

Surely the top lugs would have to have been massively distorted prior to the outer cover being put back on?

One would hope that the person working on it would notice when re-affixing the cover.

I wonder if the person undid the lower screws and bent the case too far forward to lift it off, and then did nothing to rectify their mistake.

The last engineer may not be solely to blame for any distortion, but as the last person to work on it, IMO, he is ultimately responsible.

Yeah, we all make mistakes, but as a decorator, if I paint a room the wrong colour, my customer's life is not put at risk, and that is part of the reason why I earn far, far less less than a Gas Safe plumber.

Apropos explosive ignition, would it not leave any visible signs? Again, I do not work on boilers but in the event of a sudden/instant build up of pressure, I would expect a pressed sheet of metal to deform in the middle, rather than the pressure going upwards and bending the top lugs.

One would hope that the person working on it would notice when re-affixing the cover.

I wonder if the person undid the lower screws and bent the case too far forward to lift it off, and then did nothing to rectify their mistake.

The last engineer may not be solely to blame for any distortion, but as the last person to work on it, IMO, he is ultimately responsible.

In the photo, from what I can see - The pins look perfectly straight, the lugs on the cover panel look good as new, the cover panel itself appears to be perfectly straight, no sign of it being blown off by internal boiler pressure. Assuming, as it appears, the two fixing screws are in place, then the bottom lip of the cover must have bent, as the cover fell off. The rear ends of the lugs are curved up a little at the rear, to facilitate easing them of the pins.

The only conclusion which can be drawn, is that whoever was last in that boiler, failed to hook the top lugs of the cover, onto the pins. Possibly, they made the wrong assumption, that the panel was first fixed by the two screws, then it was sufficient to give the top edge of the panel, a thump to locate it back on the pins.

Have you ever tried to contact BG?? Customer service is pathetic and to be honest, I'd rather use the guy who installed it than those useless @@@@@!! The guy who installed it lives down the road from me. BG could take a week to arrive. All I asked for is advice! Thanks a lot!!
so why did you get them to fix it in first place if guy only lives down the road and you think bg is useless @@@@@.
Im sure the guy will be very appreciative , That you didnt want to pay him to fix initially but now sort you out

Reactions: CBW
so why did you get them to fix it in first place if guy only lives down the road and you think bg is useless @@@@@.
Im sure the guy will be very appreciative , That you didnt want to pay him to fix initially but now sort you out
Because I'm covered by BG! Doh! Why would I pay someone else if I'm already covered!

Because I'm covered by BG! Doh! Why would I pay someone else if I'm already covered!
and why would pay hundreds every year to a company that you think is a pile of @@@@@ and is that not what you tried to do by phoning the original installer instead of getting them back for something your covered for . DOH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back