Boiler dumping ALL water out of condensing pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hope you can help me.

We have a Remeha Avanta Plus. It was recently serviced and has been working absolutely fine.

However, we had a leak earlier today (moving a radiator). We mended it and we've bled the radiators to release air - but the boiler is acting strangely.

When we try to top up the system with water, it just dumps it all straight out of the condensing pipe. How do we stop this?

Process:
Error E7 (pressure 0).
Topped up water (to pressure 1.5).
Pressed 'R' (reset).
Boiler displayed '0' (functioning).
BUT water then flowed out of the condensing pipe (and the pressure steadily dropped back to 0).

Tried turning it off for a while, then back on again, etc. Same result.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
You have a split heat exchanger by the sound of it

Thanks for the reply.

A few queries...
- Is that the only likely source of the problem?
- How does it happen?
- How difficult / expensive is it to sort out?

The boiler is only a few years old and was fine when it was recently serviced.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its the condensate pipe ? its not the copper one running to outside just under the boiler ? the condensate pipe is made of plastic and runs to a drain (or at least it should.)

heat ex gone
this is whats happening to the logic's

Just been speaking to someone who works for carillion doing the Ideal contract. He says they're doing about 5 logics a week for this, and this was the boiler that was going to salvage their reputation.

Yes, definitely the plastic condensate - it goes to our main waste pipe and can hear it gushing through.

What do you mean by 'logic'?

Our boiler is a Remeha Avanta Plus and not very old.

Yes, definitely the plastic condensate - it goes to our main waste pipe and can hear it gushing through.
So you must have a faulty heat exchanger.

What do you mean by 'logic'?
He is referring to the Ideal Logic boiler, which is having similar problems.

Our boiler is a Remeha Avanta Plus and not very old.
How old? Remeha give five year warranties on the heat exchanger. Even if yours is older than that you should still get in contact with them.

After Sales Service (heateam)
Tel: 0844 879 7690
Email: [email protected]

Thank you for the details - much appreciated.

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me how difficult / expensive it is to sort out?

We didn't install the boiler - it came with the house. But we talked to someone who knew the previous owner and remembers it being installed a couple of years ago. Our heating engineer confirmed it was around that age.

So less than five years... but obviously we have no proof of purchase so can't claim against Remeha?

Thank you for the details - much appreciated.

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me how difficult / expensive it is to sort out?

We didn't install the boiler - it came with the house. But we talked to someone who knew the previous owner and remembers it being installed a couple of years ago. Our heating engineer confirmed it was around that age.

So less than five years... but obviously we have no proof of purchase so can't claim against Remeha?

Usually if new heat exchanger I only offer new boiler.
Price of a heat exchanger depending on the manufacturer
usually means it isn't worth repair. I see the price of the heat exchanger
looks to be in excess of £200.
It is possible that it is just co-incidence but I go to a number of similar
events all where people have been changing or moving radiators.
Vokera seem to be prone but it applies to all boilers.
Ensure that all the air is removed from the boiler before the burner
is allowed to fire. If there is trapped air in the heat exchange
and the burner fires it will crack a heat exchanger in the blink
of an eye.

I have just had a Remeha installed, so I have the Warranty document in front of me. There is nothing in it about the warranty not being transferable between owners!

The first thing you must do is talk to the engineer who serviced the boiler. It may be that he has forgotten to tighten something up, or a gasket needs replacing. If that fails, contact Remeha - they will ask for the serial number, which is on the underside. Hopefully the boiler was registered with them when it was installed.

Thanks very much for replies, both of you! We're keen to avoid getting a new boiler, due to its position and the fact we recently paid for work on it. Would be much happier paying a few hundred quid for a repair! We need a load of other heating jobs doing anyway. Fingers crossed for Remeha warranty!

Just Quote the Boiler Serial number (on the data label on the underside of the boiler) a new Heat exchanger on an Avanta is not a difficult job ;)

Do tell us the cost and how long to get it sorted!

And of course if it was done under warrrantee.

We always like feedback on how each manufacturer performs!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back