Boiler Every Now and Then Won't Fire Up/Ignite!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Maxol Microturbo 40H Boiler.

Most of the time what occurs is this: when the boiler starts a 'motor' in the boiler begins to whirl away, then after about 5 - 10 seconds the boiler will 'woof' once or twice and then ignite. An orange 'ignite' light is on to confirm correct ignition, and all's well.

Sometimes though, the boiler will attempt to ignite, it will 'woof' 4 times, but if ignition hasn't occured after 4 attempts the attempts stop and a red fault light comes on. To the right of the red fault light is a drawing of a flame with a line through it.
To the left of the red fault light is a reset switch. I press this once, the red light goes out and the boiler has another 4 attempts at igniting.

I have been able to eventually get the boiler to ignite and work correctly, but this has involved pressing the reset button up to 4 times, meaning, that's up to 4 occasions where the boiler is 'woofing' away, the red fault light then comes on, and another attempt is tried by pressing the reset switch. And then finally the boiler ignites correctly and the orange ignition light remains on confirming correct ignition.

What appears to provoke this problem is if the boiler hasn't fired up for 24 hours, that's if there hasn't been any need for hot water and/or the Central Heating hasn't come on. Maybe this length of time disturbs the boiler somehow? Has this been anyone else's experience at all?

Is this something that I can fix, I have done some electrical DIY before? If I need to get a plumber in I would be very grateful if responders could tell me the rough price for the necessary repair work, that's parts and labour.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
You need a boiler repairer not a plumber, and its not a DIY repair

call your Boiler manufacturer and ask them who they recommend in your area you need an experienced boiler engineer not a plumber

Very unfortunately he is posting on multiple forums and some idiot has give him a full run of the ignition sequence.

He also suggests he might be charged between £40-£60 to repair it. The same idiot suggests using pliars on the lockshield on another of his replies! I have to say that even if he was local to me then I would be charging about 35% more than the higher figure.

I hope he is sensible and realises that he needs a registered engineer.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I didn't say engineer, and I agree some plumbers can repair boilers, I expect some can even repair cars or computers etc but I for one wouldn't get one to repair my car.......

You need a boiler repairer not a plumber

But some plumbers can repair repair boilers, legitimately. Do they have to be "engineers".

No but they have to be gas safe registered to work on the combustion side of a gas appliance.

The fault with this boiler is reasonable easy to repair but it appears that the op is trying to fix it himself.

You need a boiler repairer not a plumber

But some plumbers can repair repair boilers, legitimately. Do they have to be "engineers".

No but they have to be gas safe registered to work on the combustion side of a gas appliance.

The fault with this boiler is reasonable easy to repair but it appears that the op is trying to fix it himself.

Yes, I said legitimately, i.e. gas safe registered. I was taking exception to the statement "don't get a plumber".

I didn't say engineer, and I agree some plumbers can repair boilers, I expect some can even repair cars or computers etc but I for one wouldn't get one to repair my car.......

Yea, and I wouldn't get a boiler "engineer" to repair my car either. I'm not quite sure what point your trying to make.

Very unfortunately he is posting on multiple forums and some idiot has give him a full run of the ignition sequence.

He also suggests he might be charged between £40-£60 to repair it. The same idiot suggests using pliars on the lockshield on another of his replies! I have to say that even if he was local to me then I would be charging about 35% more than the higher figure.

I hope he is sensible and realises that he needs a registered engineer.

Tony
Thats why you have a mod button Tony, so you can report dangerous advice etc.

The other site that I saw him posting on does not have any written down site rules about not giving DIY gas repair advice.

It only relies on one gas registered mod to decide what advice can be given and I would say that he is pretty lax in my view. He rarely takes down anything. I would have deleted that step by step guide but he lets it stay.

If I had reported it then he would probably have taken pleasure in ignoring my request! I am sure he will have read it by now and he lets it stay.

Tony

Thank you for all your replies. Being uneducated in these areas it's often difficult knowing how to proceed with a boiler problem.

Saying that, I have arranged for an boiler engineer to come round later to pass judgement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back