Boiler exclusive to B.G question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Has anyone heard of british gas installing boilers exclusive to them?
Bought a new one from them about 5 years ago now.
I found this out when I cancelled my renewal BG contract. I called out a local gas engineer and he tried to get parts but came back and said the boiler company only deal with BG as the boiler is exclusive to them!!

This cant be allowed can it?
Dosnt it go against the competition rules or something.
Does anyone know if I can do something about it? Or who I can complain to.
Thanks for any advice.

M

NB As it happened it had been a few months since I had cancelled so I was able to get a contract with bg at a special rate (almost half of the renewal price!)

Sponsored Links
Afaik BG boilers are just rebadged to say BG - eg BG 330 is a Glow-Worm.

Afaik BG boilers are just rebadged to say BG - eg BG 330 is a Glow-Worm.

As I understand it, “gas safe” tradesmen have to fit manufacturers’ original parts, not generic equivalents, in case the generics are sub-standard in some way and hence dangerous. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

So the question would be, if it really is a re-badged boiler, are parts for the same boiler with a different name acceptable substitutes or not?

There is clearly a conflict of interests here, but I imagine that a complaint to a regulator would get a “safety is more important” response.

BG do not make anything, it will be a rebadged boiler, post a pic or tell us what model they are calling it and we will tell you what it actually is

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
As I understand it, “gas safe” tradesmen have to fit manufacturers’ original parts, not generic equivalents, in case the generics are sub-standard in some way and hence dangerous. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

So the question would be, if it really is a re-badged boiler, are parts for the same boiler with a different name acceptable substitutes or not?

There is clearly a conflict of interests here, but I imagine that a complaint to a regulator would get a “safety is more important” response.
BG do not manufacture any boiler

I’ve just had a look at my spares supplier online, and can confirm that I can order parts for a BG branded boiler, which will be the same part as the rebadged, not generic equivalents. This would be true, if for example you were trying to fit a pcb that looked the same, but isn’t.

Rebadged Baxi Ecoblue Heat / Advance Heat. Beware that parts are eye-wateringly expensive. The fan, burner, gas valve, and PCB are all one part. If any one of those components fails, you have to buy the lot, which is very nearly the same price as a new boiler.

• Thanks
Right. So, Ian, are you allowed to install a part from the same boiler with a different name?
Many boilers use the same parts, boiler manus dont actually make the parts they buy them in, and assemble the boilers, some parts are unique to a particular boiler, but usually control knobs and facias , gas valves fans etc are used in loads of different brands, PCBs are usually unique to a boiler but not always

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back