British Gas's £700 off a new boiler offer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been considering a new combi boiler for a while now, and yesterday saw the British Gas new boiler discount advert . I've just gone ahead and booked them for an appointment next week, but thinking now, I wonder just how competitive they are likely to be.

Anyone else had BG in for a quote?

Sponsored Links
I'm also doing a promotion this month....l'll give you the boiler for free, £1000 cashback, free gas for a year, 2 weeks in the sun holiday voucher, I'll even chuck in a 2 year warranty.

Mugs like you are queing up to pay the £5000 installation cost. :LOL:

Nothings for free, wise up and don't be a muppet :rolleyes: unethical trading like this really gets on my t*ts. Only works 'cos of dumb-downed Britain.

Sponsored Links
I'm also doing a promotion this month....l'll give you the boiler for free, £1000 cashback, free gas for a year, 2 weeks in the sun holiday voucher, I'll even chuck in a 2 year warranty.

Mugs like you are queing up to pay the £5000 installation cost. :LOL:

Nothings for free, wise up and don't be a muppet :rolleyes: unethical trading like this really gets on my t*ts. Only works 'cos of dumb-downed Britain.

Blimey, isn't anyone on here capable of a civilised reply? If wit were ****, you'd be constipated!

Usually BG will be at least 1/3rd more than a good local installer. Watch out for the hard sell pressure tactics and staying about 3 hours.

Sales are salesmen, not technical, most spout a load of rubbish and end up causing the BG installer a load of hassle by selling something that is not quite possible.

Get 2 other local installers in to quote as well.

Usually BG will be at least 1/3rd more than a good local installer. Watch out for the hard sell pressure tactics and staying about 3 hours.

Sales are salesmen, not technical, most spout a load of rubbish and end up causing the BG installer a load of hassle by selling something that is not quite possible.

Get 2 other local installers in to quote as well.

most BG sales guys are ex engineers.

i agree with dave though, get other quotes and consider them on a like for like basis, not on price.

I've seen a few of their quotes in the past year.

To change a combi with a 37 KW BG boiler (presumably a WB 37 CDi)a power flush the aforementioned two year warranty , magna clean filter ,MEB and external condensate pipework (22MM) and the £800 gas deal @ £4100 with a discount of £300 total £3800ish.

The MEB was an impossible to do and there was a sink 2ft away from the boiler position.

As above with a Baxi HE 30odd KW output £3500.

As above boiler of choice 29KW (not WB) £3300.

Last two didn't include the magna clean.

Have to agree with previous posts. BG are expensive and you are not guaranteed top quality workmanship. My parents used BG to replace their ageing boiler and upgrade the system. For various reasons I didnt want to get involved, but being qualified I know what is expected.

Unfortunately I felt the job was drastically overpriced for what they had done, and the workmanship was very poor. Parts of it may even fail to meet plumbing regs. However the folks are happy and wont have anything said! I think you may be better seeking recommendations for a good local companies and inviting 2 or 3 to quote.

Their 900x450 cylinder was replaced with a 1050x450, the vent/hot feed coming from new cylinder was dropped 150mm to join the existing pipe that came from the 900 cylinder, no DOC fitted to new cylinder. Boiler flue to close to opening window and external corner, condensate drain into rainwater pipe, and thats what I can see!

a novice point of view, but for what its worth:

BG quoted me £6k, other local quotes were £3200 and £3500. This was for a complete system, combi boiler and 8 rads in modest 3 bed terrace.

Took the £3500 quote as the installer came recommended. Did an ok job, not brilliant. Would I have got a better job with BG? Probably. Is it £3k better...probably not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back