British Gas - Boiler Deals

Sponsored Links
I had a full central heating system installed by BG last year. My flat had never had central heating previously so it was a completely new install. Price wise they were a little more expensive than a local independant but they weren't that bad. I realise I must be in the minority here but I think the fact I pointed out that I'd had other quotes to the salesman and the fact that it was January when the quote was done and I got the impression that it had been a quiet month helped on that score.

The guys who actually did the work were BG's own and were professional and curteous at all times. They called me to discuss things like routing of pipes whenever there were any small issues and generally kept me informed of what was going on. The place was clean and tidy everynight when they finished.

Overall I was very happy with their work and it was reassuring to know that BG couldn't exactly hide from me had their been any problems. A year on and no issues at all with the work / boiler - havent even had to top up the pressure.

Get them to give you a quote and take it from there.

HTH

To OP everyone is that busy with there own little vendettas about BG they have forgot the most important thing here namely the customer ,YOU.
wHY do you want to change one of the most reliable boilers ever made ok its 15 years old but all the working parts are readily avialable.
It is 78 percent efficient a new boiler will be up to 91% but this is not a constant and will drop down to about 85% at times or less ,so the savings are not going to be that impressive
If your set on changing it why not change it for a new classicHE it will fit straight back onto existing pipework and the flue hole will be the same ,thus cutting down on installation time . It could be off the wall and new one fitted in a matter of hours. With just the condensate and trvs if required to sort out.
As has been said BG do use a lot of outside contractors so why pay top dollar to BG when you could save thousands by cutting them out

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't think BG are the big bad company they are made out to be. Yes they are expensive for what they do-£450 for a Magnaclean and £2200 for a middle of the range Glowworm for example-however any job I've seen has been relatively well specced and the work done well.

Most of the installers where I am don't do the job to BG standards, very few of them do a PF and even fewer do install a Magnaclean and as for proper gas pipe sizes?:rolleyes:

Bottom line is you pay your money and you take your chance however as someone has already pointed out on this thread BG can't hide whereas some private installers are better at that than lord Lucan :LOL: With multiple mobiles most of which go straight to voice mail unless you either owe them money or want work done

Horses for course and all that. :LOL:

To OP everyone is that busy with there own little vendettas about BG they have forgot the most important thing here namely the customer ,YOU.
wHY do you want to change one of the most reliable boilers ever made ok its 15 years old but all the working parts are readily avialable.
It is 78 percent efficient a new boiler will be up to 91% but this is not a constant and will drop down to about 85% at times or less ,so the savings are not going to be that impressive
If your set on changing it why not change it for a new classicHE it will fit straight back onto existing pipework and the flue hole will be the same ,thus cutting down on installation time . It could be off the wall and new one fitted in a matter of hours. With just the condensate and trvs if required to sort out.
As has been said BG do use a lot of outside contractors so why pay top dollar to BG when you could save thousands by cutting them out

Reason for the consideration of a new boiler was a fault the other day which required a new part, now installed by BG under my Homecare agreement, and a comment by the service engineer last year that it might need changing in the near future.

In addition, I wondered how much more efficient a new boiler would be compared to my existing and whether I would save a noticeable amount in energy costs.

Seeing your energy figures there isn`t a great difference between my existing boiler and a new one.

Looking at boilers I saw a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 12Ri that would be suitable for my home. It costs about £600.

How much do you reckon BG would charge for this type boiler?

Don't waste your money. Your current boiler will be more reliable for the next 10 years than any new boiler will be. The savings qouted by some people are laughable. Its very unlikely you'll ever recover your outlay.
BG will tell you it needs changing as soon as it hits 15years old, regardless of model, condition etc.. its just sales.

BF . BG would charge you approx 1200 just to supply the boiler. so you would be talking around 3k to have them do it.
As mickeyg has said stick with what you have ,you are not going to get pay back on it and as i have said all parts are readily available and will be for a number of years as all the main components where still be fitted in boilers up to 3 years ago and some of them are still in the latest classics.
They will tell you to change it every year as parts are scarce this is basically a lie

BF . BG would charge you approx 1200 just to supply the boiler. so you would be talking around 3k to have them do it.
As mickeyg has said stick with what you have ,you are not going to get pay back on it and as i have said all parts are readily available and will be for a number of years as all the main components where still be fitted in boilers up to 3 years ago and some of them are still in the latest classics.
They will tell you to change it every year as parts are scarce this is basically a lie

£3K???? Decision made. Current boiler staying until it dies :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back