Boiler fan problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I wonder if anyone out there can help.
My son has just phoned , his heating has packed up.He called an engineer who told him that the fan needed replacing (presume this is fan assisted flue). My son is worried he may be ripped off, he asked me if this would trip the boiler, I said yes it would, then he said but the pilot light is still on would this be so if the boiler had shut down I said I was not sure. Please can anyone confirm if it would or not. Iwould be grateful for any info.
The boiler is Gloworm Swiftflow 100.
Cheers Tiffie.

Sponsored Links
Yep, pilot should stay lit. Pilot gas supply is kept open by thermocouple.

My son has just phoned , his heating has packed up.He called an engineer who told him that the fan needed replacing (presume this is fan assisted flue). My son is worried he may be ripped off,

get an engineer you trust then there are some good guys in this industry you know :idea:

It could well be that your son needs a new boiler, most parts for these are not made anymore if it is the boiler I am thinking of. Before spending money on an engineer, he should contact gloworm with the boiler details and ask if the fan for that model is still available.

Sponsored Links
Without the fan the pilot light will only last several hours as it will begin to recycle poc. in which time it could superheat the heat exchanger and cause more damage, so best he turns it off.
Nothing suspect about the diagnosis mind you.

Thanks very much for your advice and information everyone, I will now pass this on to my son.
Cheers Tiffie.

If the fan is turning its probably just covered with dirt.

I have always managed to clean them but it is a messy job although it only takes about 15 minutes.

The industry standard is often to just replace a part which is faulty.

I only clean them because I dont carry spare fans and replacing it would involve me in a second ( unpaid ) visit which I try to avoid.

I really wish people would not assume they are going to get ripped off.

Those TV programs are for entertainment. Little entertainment value in watching 200 RGIs doing repairs properly. So they set up known cowboys who walk right into the trap !

Tony

i think all parts are still available for the swiftflow

the problem i come across when changing the fan on the swifty is the bolts holding the fan to the flue hood sometimes sheer. can still drill them out tho.also sometimes the spade connections break in the fan when pulling them off..fnaarrr fnnaarrr :LOL:

How do you 'clean a fan' Tony?

They can be re-wound, but does wiping dirt off the blades help, other than save you another visit to order and re-fit a new one.

Personally, I just renew it.

Paul

The model I am thinking of, is the one with the mechanical dhw/ch selector about 6" - 8" from the bottom, horizontally seen in the middle. Had to do a boiler swap in the middle of winter last year because I could not get the parts from any of my suppliers, and gloworm told me they did not make them anymore.
Could be I have the wrong boiler in mind, but if not, I would be grateful if you could tell me where to get spares for them.

The model I am thinking of, is the one with the mechanical dhw/ch selector about 6" - 8" from the bottom, horizontally seen in the middle. Had to do a boiler swap in the middle of winter last year because I could not get the parts from any of my suppliers, and gloworm told me they did not make them anymore.
Could be I have the wrong boiler in mind, but if not, I would be grateful if you could tell me where to get spares for them.
Cant think of the name of the boiler your thinking of it is a GW though. The swiftflow 100 has the shuttle hw flow switch on the LHS right under the combustion box

hot water express :idea:

How do you 'clean a fan' Tony?

They can be re-wound, but does wiping dirt off the blades help, other than save you another visit to order and re-fit a new one. I don't, so whenever possible I do a one visit fix.

Personally, I just renew it.

Paul

As I said, the Industry standard is to replace a faulty or non working part. But you probably charge extra for that return visit if you dont have the new fan with you.

If you are interested in what I do then ask in the CC as I do not give DIY gas advice.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back