Boiler flue extension DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a boiler flue exiting my house wall. Hot gases from the flue are continually setting off the security light PIR which was recently installed by a (clearly somewhat dopey) electrician. See photos attached.

I have considered moving the light (or the PIR), but the gases would probably still be 'in view' of the PIR, unless I put it in a very distant location which would then compromise its field of view for detection of burglars!

So I'm thinking that it makes more sense to vent the flue at a slightly higher level by installing an extension pipe with a 90-deg bend, perhaps 500mm long? That will mean the gases all go 'upwards' rather than 'outwards'.

Can anyone advise whether it's possible to do this DIY? The flue exit pipe seems to be 100mm diameter.

If it's not permitted, what's a likely cost for this today from a tradesman?

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• PXL_20221220_182559024.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221220_182559024.MP.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20221220_182605677.jpg
    PXL_20221220_182605677.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Thanks Swwils. I assume that microwave sensors won't be reflected off the steam.

Is it possible to buy a separate small microwave sensor that I could swap for the existing PIR?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back