Boiler flue in ginnel (flying freehold)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can offer their opinion.

We have a combi boiler which has an exhaust vent/flue through the external wall into the ginnel (passage-way through the terrace). There is a flying freehold/bedroom above the ginnel.

The boiler has been working fine for many years but has recently broken down and needs a fan replacement. We have been advised by the heating engineer that the flue will need to be moved from underneath the ginnel before the boiler can be used again.

This leaves us a bit nobbled having had no central heating/hot water since before Christmas.

I'm wondering if this a black and white case of "yes this needs to be resolved before it can be used" or whether it's more a case of "this should be resolved when the boiler is replaced?"

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Similar.

The ginnel looks to be about 4 x wider than that (it's wide enough to drive a car through) and the vent isn't as big as that.

Flue in a Ginnel NOT ALLOWED Very Very Dangerous!! RGI should turn off the boiler and issue Warning notice advising that the boiler not be used untill the flue issue is resolved! as has already been said a CO Death was the result of such an installation ;)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the info.

I'll contact a local RGI to sort it out. Hopefully it won't take too long - I want some hot water/heating!

Bit disappointing that first Homeserve engineer re-started the boiler back on 4th Jan and ordered a new part but second engineer who visited today to fit the part identified the ginnel issue. It would have been nice to spend the last 10 days getting the flue issue sorted.

Perhaps you should be talking to Homeserve about their first Wombles Visit!!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back