Boiler flue problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new boiler installed 2 years ago and the plumber decided it would be to our advantage to re-locate it from the utility room where the old one had been to what we call the undercroft, a 4 foot crawl space underneath our kitchen. This all seemed fine and he fitted it and drilled a hole in the wall for the flue. The flue now comes out underneath a decking area directly outside our double kitchen doors.

The problem is the fumes which,while they contain no carbon monoxide, are still ever present if you are standing on the decking or if we have the back doors open in the good weather.

It's not a pleasant smell and I'd really like to do something about it.

Can I extend the flue into a pipe running up the outside of the building to the roof?

(Bearing in mind we are a 6 level 60's town house)

Or, is there any way I could get the pipe to connect up with the old internal flue in the utility room next door ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

Sponsored Links
Wrong i'm afraid.

Think of a boiler flue as a car exhaust, The flue is expelling all the products of combustion which does include carbon monoxide.

I would get the installer back to rectify the problems, failing that i would contact CORGI

It would be usefull to know what make & model of boiler you have then we may be able to advise accordingly.

This worries me that we've been breathing these fumes, albeit diluted with fresh air.
Anyway, it's a Halstead "Hero" 60

Ben

Sponsored Links
From the Manufacturer's Instructions:

c) It is ESSENTIAL TO ENSURE that products of combustion discharging from the terminal cannot re-enter the building, or any other adjacent building, through ventilators, windows, doors, other sources of natural air infiltration, or forced ventilation / air conditioning.

Suggest you get the installer back but after two years you could be flogging a dead gee gee. Why have you waited so long to complain about the problem?

To be honest as the weather is usually so crap we rarely stand out on the decking or even have the doors open, but increasingly this summer we have done and the smell has begun to bother us more and more, shouldn't have left it this long I know.... but what can be done now ?

It may be possible to extend the flue to terminate at the edge of the decking. The maximum horizontal run of the flue on these boiler is 4.0m. However, this may cause problems with the new termination point and getting a fall on the flue. Best to get a CORGI in to see what, if anything, can be done.

Firstly CO (carbon monoxide) is colourless , tasteless and odourless....Products of combustion from a properly burning appliance are C02 and h20..... Formula CH4(methane) + 2 volumes of O2 (oxygen) = CO2 +2H20..... If the flue is too close to the decking stopping them dispersing properly the fan may be pulling some products back in and re using them in the combustion process . Which could then result in CO being in the products.

Too long a flue run on the outside can result in the flue gases cooling too much stopping appliance working properly some are putting it into there installation instructions best to phone to find out there max permited length in the open air

You should have at least 300mm clear all aroung the flue terminal and at least 600mm clear in front of it.

Don't use your decking until the problem is resolved. Are you sure he was corgi reg?

The MI for this boiler state that the flue should be a minimum of 200mm from the underside of a balcony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back