Boiler Flue

gas4you said:
timmy74 said:
optimax innit fitted a few lately seem ok,, where is the flue clipped? or have i had too many stellas :eek:

No you haven't, see previous posts, or have the stellas caused you to miss them :LOL:

whats your opinion of Ferrolis these days, worth considering?

that optimax gotta a 5 yr guarantee :eek: easy to fit built in loop etc, clock and additional wireless controls if reqd all good IMO, though me mates the rep for the area where i live. my opinion of them has changed although in the past aint done many repairs on them really apart from sensors etc on the modena so they cant be that bad, i tend to fit what the customer asks for other than that whatever deal is on at the merchants minus glowoworms or ideals ;)

Sponsored Links
Nice to get an opinion, as far as I can tell there is only about 1 firm who fits them in Norfolk :eek: They sell so few around here, so I'm told, that we haven't even got our own service agent :LOL:

I have not followed every preceeding word but I really cannot see why the boiler could not have been fitted up against the LH or garden wall.

In that position it would have been far less conspicious in my opinion.

Perhaps this is a case of an installer too keen to do what the customer asks.

I have to say that whilst the customer thinks that he is right the expert has much more experience of fitting boilers and if he is sensitive to appearance is likely to have a much better idea of the best arrangement.

I am not hungry for work and if I thought the client was being silly then I would suggest they find someone else to do it for them!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would agree that the left hand side would have been a better option, however the OP said it was his request.

Whilst I would endeavour to to advise my customers with possible options at the end of the day it is their choice, and with your attitude, I would'nt be surprised if the customer wanted someone else.

Having said that, it would have been so easy to have got it closer to the ceiling.

So many times I hear of installers who fit radiators where the client wants them only to be told they dont like the look of them and ask for them to be moved and are surprised that will cost extra!

Some even have bathroom suites fitted and decide they dont like them!

I heard of an arab who had a solid marble bath fitted which needed the roof opening and a crane to be used to lift it in. Cost £35,000 ! His wife did not like the colour so it had to be changed. At least the RSJ supports could be used for the new bath.

Tony

I try an accomodate the clients request as far as I can but I would have walked away from this one as it looks gopping there

There is usually a manufacturer's required dimension as clearance above a boiler, most often 200mm.

If an installer does not provide that distance a manufacturer's service agent could refuse to carry out some service repairs.

An installer once had to take a boiler off the wall for me to replace a failed part! Another had to move the boiler by 75 mm to one side!

The pictures have now disapeared from the link. However, I did not notice any slope along the length of flue pipe. Most should slope at 3° back towards the boiler!!!

Tony

As I said near the start I woild have dropped the boiler slightly to allow a vertical length off the top to get it closer to the ceiling, of course allowing for th 3 degree drop from flue exit. When something looks this bad and is against my advice I always get the customer to sign a disclaimer covering me by saying they instructed the hideous installtion :rolleyes:

thanks for the bashing...

my only question was whether there was any regulation that meant the flue needed to be 30cm from the ceiling and 30cm from the wall?

We actually had several plumbers in and no one mentioned that the flue would look like that with the boiler placed where it is. In fact the original boiler was there which made the installation easier (flue went up the chimney) and in fact most of the plumbers told me that it would be the easiest place to put it! All plumbers were happy to fit the boiler where it is.

In fact, I had no idea what a flue looked like or how big it was. I did make the decision to place it where it was as I thought the boxing in of the flue would be much smaller than that. Do you think I would still have gone ahead if I knew it would look like that?

Might be worth asking the installer what regulation requires the flue to be run as it has been. Also mention the fall from terminal to boiler that Agile spotted.

NO I hope not :LOL:

No there is no reason for the 30cm from ceiling or wall. The only distance needed would be that of the length of the flue support clip studs, around 75mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back