BOILER GOING TO TOO HIGH A PRESSURE

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Helpers,

When I came in tonight the pressure on the boiler seemed unusually low but still within its allowance. I turned the thermostat in the hall up to 30. Thereafter, I realised that the boiler seemed to have been on for a while and when I looked at the needle it as just into the (high) red. I turned the thermostat in the hall back down and the boiler switched off and the pressure gradually dropped as normal. I put the thermostat back onto to about 27 and again I had to turn it down as I feared the boiler's needle was heading for the high red again. Then I had a couple of shots with the thermostat at about 22 and the boiler switched on and then off again as normal.

I'm guessing that the original low pressure may have been a result of the pressure being too high previously without me knowing and discharging some water outside.

I do have a contract with British Gas but I don't want to dive to contact them without taking good advice from your goodselves. Any observations would be most welcome and particularly as to whether I have a problem with the boiler or with the thermostat in the hall.

Thank you in anticipation of your very kind assistance.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for that.

If PRV means the pipe outside I think the bottom was a wee bit wet but I don't know whether this would be due to rain or not.

Where can I find FAQ?

Finally, and this is a hard one, my contract with British Gas is for the boiler. Am I likely to be covered for the expansion vessel? Is it a big job to recharge/replace?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
you say pressure went from "unusually low" to "high red", why not give us some actual figures read from the gauge so that we can make a much more informed diagnosis.

Hi,

Happy to do that. Red low pressure is below 1 and red high pressure is above 3.

With regard to the earlier encouraging reply, can I just clarify? - I know very little but I THINK there is an expansion vessel inside the boiler but I also have an expension vessel (like a tennis ball) fitted in the cupboard underneath the boiler. Do you think this will be covered by my 'boiler cover' with British Gas?

Thanks for your continuing assistance.

Kevplumb,

It looks similar to that blue thing you sent - mine is silver but I'm sure that is pretty irrelevant. Do you think it will be covered?

Sorry, about this but do you mean it is the internal expansion tank which is the problem?

Thanks again.

boiler probs are usually covered but it does depend what contract you have.

I'm certainly covered for the boiler but can you confirm that the problem described is likely to be due to the internal expansion tank and not the wee 'tennis ball' underneath?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back