Pressure way too high in boiler!!!

Sponsored Links
What make and model boiler and what do you mean pressed things to make pressure go higher
All I know is it’s a Valiant Ecotec plus.
I You tube said to turn one of the knobs underneath the boiler to raise the pressure, but my hubby turned both of them stupidly, there was a load of noise and he turned both knobs back to their original position, then the pressure dial started rising very quickly until it went in the red zone. We turned the boiler off for a while hoping it would calm down but it hasn’t… It’s still up in the red area and it’s flashing 2.9 and then 3.0. It then went a bit further up into the red area so I’ve shut the boiler off at the wall and turned the gas off at the mains. It frightened be to be honest . I will call an engineer tomorrow and keep the hubby away from it

The Pressure relief valve is inside the boiler and you shouldn't be opening the lid.

However releasing the Pressure via the PRV will give you another problem in that they generally need replacing afterwards.

Best thing to do is to run a garden hose to a drain cock on the ground floor.

They can sometimes stick.
There’s no lid, it’s all open and bare… I’m guessing it must have previously been broken off?

Sponsored Links
All I know is it’s a Valiant Ecotec plus.
I You tube said to turn one of the knobs underneath the boiler to raise the pressure, but my hubby turned both of them stupidly, there was a load of noise and he turned both knobs back to their original position, then the pressure dial started rising very quickly until it went in the red zone. We turned the boiler off for a while hoping it would calm down but it hasn’t… It’s still up in the red area and it’s flashing 2.9 and then 3.0. It then went a bit further up into the red area so I’ve shut the boiler off at the wall and turned the gas off at the mains. It frightened be to be honest . I will call an engineer tomorrow and keep the hubby away from it
providing he has turned the two valves back to original position , get a bucket/basin and open a radiator bleed valve and the water will squirt out into the buckets this will allow the pressure to drop . Will be several pints . if pressure doesnt drop then the valves have not closed properly

I mean the front cover. I hope you don't mean that?
Yes the bottom part is all open . I guess there was a front part to it, it’s only the flap that an engineer would open, not the whole of the front if the boiler.

Yes the bottom part is all open . I guess there was a front part to it, it’s only the flap that an engineer would open, not the whole of the front if the boiler.

Send a picture

Attachments

• IMG_1270.jpeg
    IMG_1270.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 56
That's the worst picture of a boiler I've ever seen.

Well done for turning off. With the heating on it could blow the PRV. But that's dangerous.

Looks ok imo. The fill valve @Mottie referred to is what you used to get the pressure back up. The pressure relief valve (prv) is preset to 3 bar, so even if you over pressurised, providing it’s working would be a fail safe, but likely need another if operated. You have done the right thing turning it off as you may have saved on a prv.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back